Sunday, March 9, 2008
Today
I didn't want to blog about this at first. Mostly because I'm not really sure what to say. But then I decided that years from now, or months or weeks from now, I don't want to forget how I felt today. Yesterday a 16 year old young man from our ward was at the beach with his family and saw a young boy in the water having difficulty. He went in to help him. Later the younger boy was rescued and later died at the hospital. The young man from our ward is still missing. I wasn't close with this young man or his family. They have all boys, we have all girls. Their boys are mostly older than our girls. But I did know him. I knew his bright red hair, his huge grin, his reaching out to the younger boys in the ward who so obviously looked up to him. Their family moved into our ward and it's like our ward was infused with this energy that could only come from a family of boys liked that. That energy will still be there i'm sure, in time. But Ross won't be there. I'm feeling so sad for his parents, siblings, his friends, his young men's leaders. Years ago when I was in high school a boy I knew died. It was painful as peer to go through something like that. Now, I see it from a mom's perspective. To lose a child so suddenly. Tonight I heard that his mom had told a member of our ward, that we should all be praying for the family of the other boy who died. Because this family doesn't have a ward family to rally around them and support them. Wow. I am so humbled by this request. To be in the midst of what has got to be one of the most difficult times of your life and to be requesting prayers on behalf of others. Being a mother is the most rewarding challenge our Father in Heaven has given us. And it can also be the most painful. It's the whole opposites thing. We can't know joy unless we also experience sadness. My prayers are that the happiness will come soon to these families. And also for our ward family. We are surely united as a ward on this families behalf and send them all our love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Very well written. I'm so sorry that your ward/friends are going through this. Our prayers are with those families.
Beautiful. It's so hard when something like that happens in your ward. I still struggle sometimes when I drive past the house in our ward where one of our ward members lost her mind and killed herself and her four children this past summer. Helping her family through that was...tough. I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with them and with you and your ward as you struggle through this.
Darilyn, you said all the things I am feeling but did not know how to say. That's a beautiful tribute and I too hope happiness returns quickly to this family.
Beautifully said. I am wiping away the tears right now.
yes, yes and yes. It is amazing to hear about how the ward is rallying around them. I can't imagine the anguished fog they are living in right now. But I do know prayers help.
I am wiping tears off my cheeks as I read about these poor boys and their families. I just got off the phone w/ Merilee, who told me about the accident. It's amazing how we can feel so safe in our own little world and not even suspect an accident like this to sneak into our lives. I'm so glad we have the gospel to bring some eternal perspective into life and death. Even with that however, it still stings.
I will keep both families in my prayers.
Amen, amen, amen. The tears are flowing easily now.
it's just so unreal to me! he was such a happy guy who touched so many lives in the short amount of time that he was in our ward!
Thank for this post and focusing so much of the family. I don't even know if I can imagine the pain.
Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you wrote it all down.
What a tragic accident. I'm so sorry. I will be keeping this family and your Ward in my thoughts and prayers.
I saw the newscast of this story too (Merilee put a link up). It is so sad what happened, but at least the his family knows that he died doing the right and courageous thing. They seem like a really great family. I hope that they feel comforted at this time.
Darilyn these words were very moving. I had a hard time being gone while all this was going on. I was able to talk to Deanna a few times.She is amazing. thanks you for the story. It helped be stay connected. Paula
Post a Comment