Wednesday, April 23, 2008
A while back I shared with all of you how I wanted and needed to start listening to the Spirit more in my life. I've really tried to be better at this. I just wanted to share something that happened this week because of it. I was at Winco bagging my groceries. I noticed that the older gentleman right behind me was moving back and forth very visibly. I wondered if he had Parkinson's. I was close to finishing up my bagging when he started bagging his groceries. He was having a very difficult time getting the items in the bag. He was shaking so much that he just couldn't get his hand to get it in the bag. I wanted to help him but my immediate thought was "no, what if I offend him by asking". That is a real concern. I mean, maybe he wants to be independent. Right? So I start to push my cart toward the exit. I go a few feet and turn it around. "What am I doing? He doesn't want my help." So I turn back towards the exit and go a few more feet and then turn around again. I decide I'll just wander back that way and look like i'm looking for something beyond him. Like what? A fire extinguisher? That's about all that was back there. I realize that I look like a weirdo so I turn around again and head for the exit. By this time the checker in his lane had finished checking groceries for two other people and things were backed up but she couldn't send anything down his side because he was still no where near being done. That's when I just stopped. I realized that Heavenly Father knew if he wanted help or not and that I could ask and I would know what to do. So I said a prayer by the ATM machine and no, it wasn't so the machine would start spewing $100 bills incessantly all over the floor in my direction. I asked if I should help this man. I knew immediately that I should. I wish I could have captured the look of happiness on his face or the tear running down the face of the checker. It made me wonder how many other opportunities I've missed because I was afraid of offending someone. I'm so grateful for prayer. I'm grateful that we can know things through it. By the way, he did have Parkinsons. He shared that with me as we were walking out the exit together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
What a touching story and such a great reminder to follow our promptings. Next time I hesitate at an oppotunity to serve someone because I 'don't want to offend'...I will think of this. Thanks, Darilyn :)
oh you are so awesome! I have found that even if someone is offended because they want to be independent they are at least grateful that there are still people out there willing to offer a helping hand. I have such a soft spot for old men. I just love them.
What a sweet example you are! Thanks for sharing that.
what a great reminder for all of us to listen to that still small voice. sometimes it's hard for me to remember that there is someone up there who knows more than i do. you are such a shining example. thank you.
Good for you! I'm so glad it worked out so well for all of you!
I'm sure you made that guy's day! Thanks for the reminder:)
sometimes it is hard to approach strangers. Well done as you listened to the sprit. you were an instrument of the Lord today. doesn't it feel great and humbling
What a great reminder for all of us. Thanks so much for sharing it!
That brought a tear to my eye. My grandfather has parkinsons as well and I know how independent they want to be mainly because they don't want to be a burden and so they won't ask for help even when they truly need it. I bet you made that man's day by your kindness.
Thanks for sharing this moment with us. You did a wonderful thing for that man, and with that have reminded me of the many times I could have done the same thing.
I love reading your blog. I have been touched be so many of your posts.
I am so glad that I found your blog so I could read this lovely story. What a beautiful heart you have. Listening to the Spirit is always the right thing to do.
That was inspirational. There are times I have done that and helped someone, and other times I have just walked on by wondering if I should. You are awesome. I bet you felt so good afterward. Like a big spiritual high five. Love it!
I think with the question "Can I help you?" they only thing we are afraid of is the NO. But that is all there is usually it is a YES. You go girl!
Sometimes we have to be beaten over the head to listen to the spirit it really is very quite and soft. But sometimes it can be a hammer. Paula
I've got chilles from that. That was so sweet! WOW!
I've said it before...I'll say it again. I love your posts! The funny thing is, I was in Winco yesterday with the kids and this older lady was behind me, and I wondered if I should help her. But she seemed pretty sturdy. Still, maybe I should have listened and offered to help!
That was a great story to start my day. What a great example of being present and aware of your surroundings and following the promptings of the spirit.
I LOVE that story! I too wonder how many opportunities I have missed because I was to afraid of rejection or offending someone. This is a story that will not soon be forgotten. Really, even if somebody says no, they still have to walk away feeling like there are still good people in the world, and we would walk away knowing that we tried, so it's still a win-win. Right? Oh, thought of another connection...I used to visit teach Marlo Rood(wasn't she your cousins wife)? I want to figure out all the Eugene folk we have in common:0)
Yes, Marlo is my cousin Kyle's wife. I'm sure we know more people. Did you ever visit the "blue house"? I lived there a couple different times.
That is such a sweet story that it made me cry...and I don't think it's just the pregnancy hormones :)
I love stories like that! Thanks for sharing! Love ya!! Hoping to make the family reunion.
I love the part about you actually turning around in circles before approaching. I have done that so many times. I'm glad of the result.
What a wonderful story, it is like something out of readers digest.
You are such a wonderful example to your daughters, even if they werent there, someday they will read your journal to your grandchildren and they will know what a kind thoughtful person you were.
Thank you Darilyn for this sweet reminder of listening to the spirit...what a touching experience.
You are an amazing woman Darilyn. Thanks for sharing your touching moment of prompting, prayer, and sweet kindness. Love you tons!
Post a Comment