Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 4 - San Jose




My final day was spent in the Willow Glen neighborhood of San Jose. I heard about a candy store called Powell's Sweet Shoppe that I wanted to check out. I think this store had every candy you could possibly want. Even ones that we had as kids that are hard to find now. Do you have a favorite childhood candy? Mine is the peach Jolly Rancher sticks. They actually don't make them in Peach anymore as I found out today by the store manager. But she did have some apple sticks and so I got those instead. This store was created to have an old time candy store feel. People call the guy who owns it Willy Wonka. He loves the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and has signed pictures from the cast as well as the movie playing all the time with a few theatre chairs in front of the screen if you would like to rest for a spell and catch the flick. The store is fun and I would definitely go there again if I am in the area.



After my perusal of Powell's Sweets I just walked along the street for about a half mile and went in each of the stores that looked interesting. The best store of the day (besides the candy store) was a vintage clothing store. This place was great. They only sell clothes from the 40's-70's. They had the funkiest, most fun, sometimes scary items I have ever seen. I was wishing my camera worked so badly so that I could show you what my eyes were beholding. But my batteries had died and of course the backup ones I had didn't work either. Somehow I managed to spend all day on this little street. I picked up Chris from work at 4:30 and we headed to the airport.
Chris gave me a little tour of where he works when he's there. He has to go through 4 secured areas before he can even get to his desk. I asked Chris and his co-worker if it was really necessary to have so many security precautions. They both assured me it was. Apparently other people are interested in what they are doing. They laughed when I said that I wasn't interested. Sorry, but it's true. I'm very glad that Chris is so happy there. That is what matters to me.

It was such a great weekend for Chris and I. I feel so much more connected as a couple when we spend time away from everything together. I'm very lucky to have him for my husband, even if he almost got us killed in San Francisco traffic. twice. But then I know I annoy him at times too, probably more than I care to know about. I guess we are lucky to have each other.

11 comments:

Rachael said...

I wish I could have been in the candy store with you. It sounds like so much fun. I think it is great to get away as a couple. You two always seem so happy. Glad you are home!

Rochelle said...

Glad you had such a fabulous time! I am in awe over the candy shop!

Bridget said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Love the husband getaways, those are the best.

I bet your girls are happy to see you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip review - I feel like I was there!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that candy store looks so fun!!! My boys would have been in heaven :) You have gotten some great pictures of your trip.

Krista Lou Cook said...

Apple sticks are MY favorite. I hope you saved some!!!!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Such a fun trip! Who knew that San Jose could be fun, too! I have to check out that candy store. :-)

Rachel Bancroft said...

It's been fun reading about your travels in San Fran and that area! I have always wanted to go there. I had to smile when thinking of you as a San Francisco hippie in the 60's. Peace.

Hailey Vial said...

Who can paint a rainbow, sprinkle it with dew?
The Candyman, Willy Wonka can!
I am a candy addict. When I say I love licorice, it's no joke. That sounds like my kind of place!

Jodi said...

I am seriously aching to go to SF now that I have read all this great stuff you have been up to the last few days!
Can't wait to see you at book club. I have been missing you.

brenda said...

I'm glad you two got to do that. Your life seems so fun to me, Darilyn. Mostly it's your enthusiasm and zest that makes it that way! You're the best!