Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 1 San Francisco



This morning Chris and I caught an early flight to San Jose. He has to be here for work on Monday and Tuesday and I wanted to tag a long this time. We've needed a little time away by ourselves and this is just the ticket. A huge hug and thank you to my mom who is at our house watching out girls right now. I called when I got home and they had already made a purse out of a placemat with the sewing machine that stays tucked away in my closet only to brought out when my mother is in town. Their purses are complete with zipper closures and ribbon handles. My mom is so cute and creative. She is the beehive advisor in her ward for church and I bet those girls adore her. She taught all of them to make purses out of a placemat too.

Anyway, I digress. We arrived in San Jose and after getting our rental car with GPS we were off in search of lunch. Unfortunately the "Soul Food" restaurant we wanted to go to had been replaced with a pawn shop. So our first time of using the GPS thing led us astray but it was great the rest of the time. We eventually found an Indian restaurant and decided to give it a try. It was a buffet and just okay. But their Naan was absolutely the best I've ever had. So yummy. I was tempted to buy some so I could eat it later.

After lunch we found our hotel. It was about 1:30 at this time and I had grand plans to go to the Ferry Building and hit a Saturday Market in Downtown San Fran. But nope, these tired parents decided they needed a nap first and slept for two hours. We didn't even mean to do this. I layed on the bed to test it out and closed my eyes and well...you know how that goes. We awoke well rested, did a little bit of research on our computers and then took off for Pier 39 and the Fisherman's wharf.

Our first stop was at Barne's and Noble where I bought this. It is my favorite brand of map. It is easy to read and I love all the little pictures on there and little bits of info they write right there on the map. While paying for my map i asked the Barnes and Noble guy where he would suggest parking since we were going to be spending a few hours at the Pier and having dinner. Rachael Ray always says to ask a local for information and that advice usually doesn't disappoint me. He told us that the street parking was free after 7pm so we went and put a few more quarters in our meter to get us to 7pm and ended up saving $10 on parking since we weren't in one of the garages.

Next was dinner. We had reservations at The Crab House. It was very good. Chris and I shared a whole crab and tons of grilled shrimp. The garlic bread was thick slices of sourdough, toasted with garlic butter and shaved parmesan on top. They tied bibs around us and we dug in!


We did some shopping after dinner and found a few fun things. I'm really looking forward to doing some intense shopping tomorrow. I've already mapped out some cool boutiques and I'll let you all know tomorrow if I find anything good.

12 comments:

Krista Lou Cook said...

OK that photo is hillarius! I forget how large the crabs are on the Pacific! did you buy me a present yet? :)

Chelle said...

What a blast! So Chris goes down every Monday and Tuesday? Sounds like fun.

Amanda D said...

I am so jealous that you get to have some time with just you and DH. How wonderful for you.

Your description of the sour dough bread made me hungry. There is nothing like good sour dough. MMmmm.

I think that you need to post photos of your daughter's placemat purses. I am very intrigued by that.

Anonymous said...

Have fun!! And yes - let's see pics of the purses.

Bridget said...

How fun! Your mom is so sweet. She was sitting behind us in Sac. mtg and patiently and kindly picked up all the toys my boys dropped or pushed to her row. Cole really liked her.

Have fun shopping! Can't wait to see what you buy.

Merilee said...

I'm glad you;re having a good time. That crab looks so delicious!

Merilee said...

sfgirlbybay.blogspot.com is the blog I was telling you about. I think I'm too late though, sorry.

Darilyn said...

Yeah Merilee, you are a little late. That's okay though. I had a great day.

Chris doesn't go down every week. Just every other week and that will be ending really soon. Then it will just be an as needed basis.

I will post pictures of the purses when i get home.

And Krista, I got you something today.

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys have a blast Darilyn! Isn't it so great to have your mom take care of the kids so you and Chris can get away?! Naan bread and crab all in the same day...I have only 2 words for that: I'M JEALOUS! Wooohoooooo-party it up with no kiddos. Hugs, Eva

brenda said...

Your mom is a major cutie. She bore her testimony today, for her granddaughters. SO sweet.

Have a great time!

mahina said...

you are like the traveling queen! you have gone on so many fun little jaunts here and trips there! i am envious! sounds like so much fun! your dinner reminds me of the "crap it" in seattle that we went to! yummy!

Rachael said...

That crab looks huge. I'll have to check out Rachel Ray before I travel. I really like all her travel advise. Have fun!