Sunday, July 22, 2007

Low fat Shrimp Linguini


I created this alfredo sauce a long time ago when I wanted to create a healthier alfredo sauce that I didn't feel so bad eating. Tonight I had some shrimp I needed to use so I used this sauce recipe and made up the shrimp part with what I had. It turned out so yummy I had to share.

1 lb. cooked pasta
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. raw shrimp, peeled
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tsp. pampered chef Jamaican seasoning
1 garlic clove
dash salt

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir until becomes thick paste. Do not brown. Add chicken stock, milk and garlic. Using a wire whisk stir mixture until it comes to a full boil. Add salt and pepper. and continue to cook for 1 min. Slowly add cheese, stirring until sauce has consistency of thick malt.

Put shrimp in a small bowl and add 1/2 cup orange juice, jamaican seasoning, crushed garlic and salt. Heat a dash of olive oil in a saute pan. Add entire shrimp mixture, juice and all, into hot saute pan. cook until shrimp turns pink and juice is reduced ( about 3 minutes ).

Combine your cooked pasta with your sauce. Dish up and put shrimp on top.

I normally would use cooked chicken in this recipe. Just substitute whatever you want.

3 comments:

Merilee said...

Sounds and looks delish. Thanks for adding the picture. You know I can't cook anything without a pic.

Bridget said...

Oh, that looks so yummy! I haven't eaten lunch yet adn I could just reach out and grab that plate!

jaust.me said...

That looks so beautiful I can almost taste it. I almost never cook shrimp at home, because of the smell, but that tempts me. I actually cooked a pork roast with veggies today. I can't remember the last time I cooked an actual meal without some sort of box or can. I was pretty impressed with myself. (or the guilt eased up at least) I even made enough roast to save for bbq sandwiches tomorrow night. Ok, this shows that I think way too much about food. Really, I do.
Mo