This is one of those posts where I'm glad certain people don't read my blog. I've been struggling lately with feelings of jealously, anger and disappointment. All feelings from satan, yessiree. It all has to do with a certain ballroom dance trip to Hawaii. You see, our oldest, Makenzie was invited to go to Hawaii with a small group of kids to teach ballroom dance and perform for a church youth group there. Of course Makenzie was ecstatic. The problem? We found out about it 4 weeks ago. And a week ago the dates were finalized, they will be leaving July 1st. I thought to myself, surely parents don't have that kind of money to be sending their teenage sons or daughters off at the last minute. Or even if they did have the money, would they spend it on something so last minute? Surprisingly the answer is YES. Everyone of the 8 kids invited will be going EXCEPT for Makenzie. We were hopeful that Chris' aunt would help out but she did not. That is her choice and I am okay with that. Today the dance teacher called and needed a firm yes or no because she needs to get tickets. I had to tell her no. It broke my heart. I hate that we don't have money in a savings account that we could send her like the other families do. I know that she will be very sad that she doesn't get to go. It would have been such a neat thing for her to put on her college application since she wants to be a dancer and teach dance as well.
I keep telling myself that it isn't meant to be. Right?
5 comments:
Oh, I sure do hear you on this one. Last year we let Rylie go to Retreat for Girls in Logan, Utah but she had to earn half of the cost. We had some friends that sent their daughter but they paid for everything. I felt like they thought we were mean and lame and expected too much from an almost 12 year old. Then I wondered if we do expect too much and I started second guessing the principles we were trying to teach our daughter. You work, save & spend within your means. I do not believe in just handing over hoards of money like that. I would have had a really hard time with this as well. And obviously Makenzie didn't have time to save enough money to go all the way to Hawaii. That is SO expensive! I'm sorry your feeling sad about it, but you made the right choice. And maybe some of these families really couldn't afford it and they'll suffer later. Who knows. I admire you for making the best choice for your family. That's hard to do sometimes. Makenzie will get other opportunities to teach. Just her experiences helping Miss Heidi teach can also go on a school application. Everything will be OK.
Hey, sweetie. As difficult as the decision is, I know you made the right one for your family. I'm more disappointed that the people sponsoring it didn't allow for more advanced planning. It seems inconsiderate, and almost arrogant, for any company or group to think that people can find that kind of money in such a short amount of time. Makenzie is a bright and wonderful young woman. She knows how much you sacrifice for things and will understand why this last minute trip wasn't in the budget. She WILL have other opportunities to teach. Hawaii doesn't have to be on a school application to prove her skills. Love you, Darilyn.
I'm willing to bet that not everyone else that is sending their children have the money. I'm betting that credit is paying for it and you can't do that. I think Tonya and Sabrina have said it right.
Hang in there! You're a great mom, and she'll understand. :)
I feel your pain. I've had to tell my kids "no" a lot lately. I think, or rather hope, that they will understand, and that this will build their character, preparing them for the future in a way that giving them everything cannot.
I completely understand. My teenage daughter has been offered a job at Disneyland Paris - dates to be confirmed and just praying we'll be able to afford the fare. It's hard for any of us to find extra money these days. I do think (hope!) though, that it's done our children good to know they have to work for what they want and it's certainly taught them how to budget.
Post a Comment