Thursday, August 26, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love


Have you ever watched a movie and wanted to just step onto the screen?  That is what I felt as I watched "Eat, Pray, Love" yesterday.  I didn't have real high expectations, I had heard that it was just "okay."  I guess those people didn't have the same love for foreign places, people,  food and adventure that I do.  Oh, I just wanted to be her, to take a year away from my life and spend time in three wonderful places.  Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily choose an Ashram for three of my months, but something similarly devotional would definitely take it's place.  When Julia Roberts bit into that pizza in Naples I was like, I wanna go, I wanna go.  I let myself dream for a second what it would be like to be her, in Italy, filming that movie with all the great food.  Did you know she gained 7 lbs. while filming that segment?  And she says she enjoyed every pound of it.  Good for you, Julia.

Yes, I read the book. 

Yes, I enjoyed the book.


What movies have you watched where you felt that intensity to be part of it?  And you can't say "The Sound of Music."  Didn't we all want to be Julie Andrews, singing and clicking our hills when we were eight years-old?  Oh, you mean that was just me?  ha ha, sorry.

8 comments:

Quinn said...

Saw a preview for the movie recently, can't wait to watch it! I seldom read movie reviews - it looked good to me and I am a Julia Roberts fan. Come visit me Darilyn, I'll take you to Italy to try the pizza (don't be fooled though - it is not AT ALL like a Pier 59 or the like), or to Belgium for a cup of hot chocolate or France for a breakfast of warm croissants, or jumbo french fries with special sauce from the street vendors in Amsterdam. You can come in the bitter cold of winter and experience the heart warming christmas markets with all their magic right here in Germany. By the way, Oct 17 through Oct 29, 2011 is the time frame that would be best for me. My kids are out of school. I'll write an Email.

Siouxsie said...

I must confess that I mostly just really wanted to be in Star Wars. Good thing I've outgrown that now. Ahem...yeah...outgrown it. ;-)

ducklips said...

I'm so glad to hear a good review of that movie. I read the book and at times loved it. At others it seemed to drag and I had to force myself to keep reading. I couldn't really relate to her with most things except for the sense of adventure. I did think it would make an excellent movie though.

I really want to be in almost every movie I see. I love becoming part of the story and scenery, if only for just 2 hours. I guess that's why I love books. The adventure lasts longer.

Quinn said...

Since I was the first to comment, dropped by again to see what others have said and noticed that you just read "The Hunger Games", Gusti just told me yesterday also that she LOVED the book and we had to read it as soon as we could. Gotta run over to AMAZON I guess... talk to you later.

Tonya said...

I haven't read it or seen it but I really want to!!! And I am sure I have that same adventurous spirit that you do, so I think I would love it. Thanks for the plug!!!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the review! I'll have to see it! There have been quite a few movies where I wished I was the the one in the movie.

brenda said...

I'm excited for the movie. Liked the book, went to hear the author speak and thought she was hilarious. I don't know what I was expecting, but she was more stand-up-comic than enlightened spiritualist. And you can bet she gained more than seven pounds in that segment of her life! I loved it and related to it. But like I said, haven't seen it yet.

Um, I thought I was Julie Andrews. I often break into "The Hills Are Alive..." But secretly, I always want to step into movies where some tough guy is doling out justice. That's right: I want to be batman.

jaust.me said...

I enjoyed the movie, more than I thought I would. Definitely liked the Italian parts best. Mostly, I just wanted to say Hi Darilyn, you rock!