
I can't believe I'm finding myself with a spare few minutes before I run off to a meeting. Life has been busy lately. All good stuff though so I'm not complaining. With the few minutes I have I want to share what my a-ha moment was after General Conference this weekend as I pondered the things I had heard. I have not been allowing my Heavenly Father to help me do the things I need to do. My patriarchal blessing warns of this, that I shouldn't trust in the strength of my own arm too much. That I need to seek the help of my Father in heaven. I struggle with this. A lot. I get going, going, going and I don't take the time to pray and I certainly don't think of asking for the Lord's help in accomplishing my tasks or raising my children. I've been wondering lately if my transcription job is really going to work out for me. I really haven't been doing very well at it, not progressing like I'd like to be. I also have felt a huge responsibility to oversee the certification of the third years at Girls Camp this summer. A responsibility that I'm thrilled and excited about beyond belief. But, because I'm so passionate about it I want everything to be great. This led me to make a phone call to my Laurel Advisor, she also happens to have been a Stake Girls Camp director for 25 years in a row. I drove out to her home this week and spent two blissful hours with her. She reminded me of what the purpose of Girls Camp is; to bring the girls closer to their Savior. I had lost sight of this. I have been planning a major 4-mile hike and looking at how we can incorporate orienteering, compass reading etc, etc, etc, into this hike. I hadn't once thought about how the hike could bring the girls closer to their Heavenly Father and to their Savior. I realized that I need to ask for the Lord's help. Not only with the hike but with my job as well. What a fool I've been for working my tail off and not letting the Lord make the difference up for me. So I've been praying this week. A lot more. And my transcription work has improved by $2/hr almost immediately. As I was typing a long today I was watching the screen just wondering how I was able to go so fast. Prayer. As for the hike, that isn't for another month, but I'm sure it will be amazing because Heavenly Father can do amazing things.
13 comments:
I honestly think asking for help is the hardest thing in the world even if I am asking the Lord. Prayer is Powerful. I'm sure you'll get the answers you are looking for.
Good for you Darilyn for having that a-ha moment. You can do great things, I don't doubt that.
Sometimes we just need to be reminded every now and then. The Lord always makes you better than you are on your own.
Is your transcriptionist job from home? I would like to talk to you about it sometime.
Thank you for that. I really needed it. Prayer is amazing and really does lift our burdens to be bearable.
What a wonderful lesson! One I need to remember too. Thanks for the reminder.
I think everyone needs a reminder on letting the Lord help us once in awhile. Thanks!
I know I don't turn to the Lord near as often as I should. Thanks for this reminder.
I love your posts. They are always so uplifitng and, well, enchanting. :-) Seriously, I've found when I pray before I work, I do so much better. It is the silver bullet. I know I still have to work hard, but it goes so much easier with divine help! Thanks for the reminder to keep praying!
darilyn, i love your words! thank you for writing this about prayer! i am so bad at asking for help in the everyday type things. i needed you to write this for me! you've inspired me to be better!
Why are you always making me cry? What a great lesson that I need to relearn as well.
$2?!?! Wow! This was a great post and a great reminder for me. I get in the same trap. The busy trap. Too "busy" to find time for the truly important things in life. Thanks for being a great example, Darilyn! And tell "melissa-mc" about the job. We need to share the burden, don't we? Maybe then we wouldn't get so slammed. :-)
Keep these inspirational posts comin'! You're the best. I've been thinking the same thing...like sometimes the SAT classes don't go well and I feel I'm wasting my time. So I started praying on the way to every class, and I feel much more like I'm connecting with the students and making a difference for them. Weird that it took me so long to ask for help with that, because I would always pray before a sharing time, you know? There are many other things, especially relationships, I know I need to pray about. Thanks for the eye-opener.
I love to hear your inner thoughts. I must say I have succumbed to the same temptation all of the time. Depend on myself instead of the Lord. I am very excited to have you at camp. You will do a wonderful job!
Post a Comment