
Dear Heidi,
When you turned eight you couldn't wait to have your first slumber party which was a tradition in our house. And you made me very happy when you asked me if you could only invite three friends instead of a huge number like ten. Of course you can just invite three friends, I told you. Inside my heart was leaping for joy because it would be so much easier. You'll understand this when your child asks for a slumber party. You counted down the minutes until your first guest arrived. F

irst was Sidney with her mom following behind with your birthday cake. I was crazy busy at the time when you turned eight and was so grateful when Sid's mom volunteered to make your cake. You were excited that she had made it your favorite color, aqua. I remember laughing when you told me this. No regular blue for you, aqua. I love how specific you are. Your next two guests arrived together, Eliza and Jordan. They ran in, dumped their gifts and the four of you were off to discover what kind of toys you could all play with. Dad had a meeting that night in Vancouver so when Jordan's mom found this out she stayed the whole evening and helped me. Surround yourself with good friends when you are married, it's not just good advice while you are younger. You were so sweet that day, Heidi. I had been feeling bad because I didn't have time to do any decorating. You immediately chimed in that you didn't need decorations because all that mattered was being with your friends. You have always been thoughtful like that. That made me feel so happy to hear you say that. You had hot dogs, Doritos, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes for dinner and you claimed it was the "best dinner ever." You ended up having two birthday cakes that evening. The one Sid's mom made you and then Hannah Montana ice cream cake from DQ that Jordan's mom brought unexpectedly. It was all ice cream and went perfect with the cake. You and your friends all got thei

r toes and fingers painted and you played the Hannah Montana Wii game. You all looked so adorable in your nightshirts you had made that night. I ended up ruining my iron and ironing board that night learning how to melt crayons to t-shirts but I didn't mind. You also watched the Bee movie and Alvin and the Chipmunks. We had planned some other games but just didn't even get to those. As it was time to go to bed you all insisted that you HAD to play Truth or Dare. We all played one round of it and I laughed hysterically when the 'Dares' were things like "kiss your stuffed animal" I hope they always stay so innocent but I'm no dummy. You all ended up having a great time. I love you Heidi. I remember being so shocked when we found out we were expecting you. Now I can't imagine life without your smile and happy outlook towards life.
Love,
Mom
14 comments:
What a sweet letter! Am I to understand that she turned 8 and you are writing to her in the future? She will treasure this.
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your thoughtful comment on my blog. How selfless of you to be willing to sacrifice on my behalf. It really meant a lot to me.
How sweet! I have such creative friends:) I'm gonna have to steal a bunch of their blogging ideas! I hope she knows how lucky she is to have such a great mom.
Looks like a great party! Happy birthday to Heidi.
I thought that might be a little confusing. Yes, it's a letter to Heidi in the future.
what a fun treasure! She will love having all the specifics written down. You are a great mom D!
Very cute and very fun! I love the letter idea! your a great writer.
Such a sweet post, Darilyn. She will treasure this letter for years to come. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. 8 is a big birthday!!
BTW...I truly agree with your comment about surrounding yourself with good people no matter what age. You are a wise woman.
that is so sweet! i love the truth or dare part! wouldn't it be nice if the dares stayed so silly and innocent!
happy birthday heidi! we love having you in activity days with us!
what a sweet letter. one day down the road she will love reading this!
Ok, this is a very sweet letter. I have to admit that I was very fooled. I thought I must have your daughters all mixed up. I thought, "Wow, Darilyn's older daughter had a friend named Sidney whose mom liked to make cakes too." It wasn't until I read about the Wii game that I realized that Sidney was my Little Jack and the mom who makes cakes was Merilee because they didn't have Wii eight years ago. I guess I need to look a little closer at pictures.
Yes, I am retarded and ate way too much chocolate tonight and it is almost midnight.
Aw it sounds like a wonderful party! I can't believe she's 8 already! Where did the time go????
So sweet and something she will always cherish.
Such a great post, what a treasure.
And you are such a great party mom!
Heidi is such a sweet girl and very thoughtful I love getting to know her and her sweet personality in activity days. Love the post such a great keepsake!
Post a Comment