Friday, September 23, 2011

Old-Fashioned Bran Muffins


    One of the very first recipes I remember making as a kid was bran muffins.  The recipe had you use regular bran flakes that were put in a bowl along with some milk and letting them soak together for a few minutes until you had this soft brown mush. Sound appetizing?  Stay with me, people.

A few years back I was havin' a hankerin' for a bran muffin. Not one of those overly sweet kind you find in bakery shops but one that I remembered from my childhood.  It didn't take long to find one on the internet that seemed just about how I remembered it. I made a couple of tweaks to it and ala, here you have Old Fashioned Bran Muffins, just like I remember them.  I made these this morning and my mom and I sat there, basking in their warm goodness just like 30 years ago.

Old Fashioned Bran Muffins

1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups bran flake cereal
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.  Mix cereal and milk in a medium blow and let stand for five minutes.  After 5 minutes stir egg and melted butter into cereal mixture.  Add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.  Soon batter inot greased muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 full.  Bake at 400 for 15-18 min or until golden brown. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Tonya said...

I seriously just recently bought some bran flakes so I could make these chocolate bran muffins I once had, but now I can't find a recipe I like. So, I will try this one. Thanks, dear!

Krista Lou Cook said...

Ha,Ha! I was going through my recipes and I have "the" recipe for the bran muffins we made for 4-H. :) I'm thinking about adding zucchini :)

Memory Bybee said...

LOVE bran muffins! My favorite! I use the All Bran cereal recipe. I'll probably be making some in the next 20 minutes now, thanks to you. :-) Yum!