Monday, September 12, 2011

A not-so-good-friend moment

Tonight I found out that a dear friend has cancer.
My heart is breaking for her because she has to go through all that nasty chemo.
And her hair is falling out.
I wish I could give her an ounce of my strength to help her get through it. My strenght isn't much but I would give it to her.

And it makes me even more sad how I reacted when she told me she had cancer. I ignored it. 
Weird, huh? And I acted like my problems were just as big. But they aren't.

I know it sounds crazy but I kind of thought she would want me to act like it was no big deal. So that's what I did.
But then she told me that I really hurt her feelings.
And then I told her that I'm glad she trusts me enough to tell me that I hurt her feelings.
And I apologized.

I can be a real idiot sometimes.

Now I am thinking of what I can do for this friend.

4 comments:

paula said...

listen to her. Take her food when she can't eat. Like smoothies, when her mouth eats sore. clean her house when she can't move. Help her relax by going for a walk when she is anxious and can't come down after all the meds..It is the hardest thing anyone has to go thru. So good to have friends there to help.

Darilyn said...

Oh, Paula, you are awesome! Thanks!

Krista Lou Cook said...

Great advice paula! At least we know that we can make amends for the not so clever things we say or not say.

Melissa said...

*giant Hugs* Paula has fantastic advice. It's kinda what we've been doing with my father in law as he's been going through his chemo. I'll add you and your friend to my prayers! Thinking about you guys!!!