Monday, July 11, 2011

The crazies of summer

Today Makenzie gets home and it will be the first time since school got out for the summer that all five of us have been home at the same time.  Crazy, huh?

here is the break down of who has been home.

Week 1 of summer break:  Dad and the youngest
Week 2:  Dad, oldest, middle
Week 3:  Dad, mom, youngest
Week 4 (current week):  Dad, Mom, Oldest (gets home tonight), middle)
Next week?  All of us as we are flying to Mexico on Sunday and they will not be able to escape the plane!

It didn't used to be like this.  I used to schedule out activities for each day of the summer just so that we would have something to do each day and they could look forward to something.  Now, they make their own activies with friends and camps and all sorts of things.  I have been thinking that when Makenzie gets home today we are going to sit down as a family and talk about this week.  That nobody is going anywhere this week.  We are all staying home and spending time with EACH OTHER. I knew it would be like this.  The funny thing is, when you look at August, it's empty! 

So, do your summers get crazy like this?  How do you ensure that family still comes first?

5 comments:

Chris said...

Actually you forgot our youngest is still out of town for a few days. The five of us will only be around for a few hours Thursday evening then Saturday evening until we fly out.

Embrace the craziness!

Darilyn said...

Oh, yeah! That is funny! i did forget that Heidi is gone. You are right. We will all be in the same house on Thursday. I better edit that.

Melissa said...

I had huge plans for this summer and it got away from me due to doctor visits and whatnot. But the one thing that has centered us is reading time, but then my kidlets are still little. But our daily marathon reading sessions are so much fun and the boys look forward to them.

Amanda D said...

I need to copy you and make a plan to do something (anything!) each day because we've been home from out trip for about a week and half and we are driving each other crazy. Have fun in Mexico!

Tonya said...

We don't really have any real schedule with the exception of swimming almost every morning of the summer. Now that Rylie is 13 I can see her making more of her own plans, and thinking the ones that I make are a bit babyish, so I know that soon we will be in the same boat as you. Everybody kind of scattering and doing their own thing. I'm so excited for your trip to Mexico and I can't wait to hear all about it!