Sunday, March 27, 2011

The beginning of Spring Break started like this.....

I remember well the day I had my wisdom teeth removed.  I laid in the dentist chair listening to the whir of the drill.  I could hear bone being chipped away and even worse was the spray of the blood and saliva and who-know-what-else on my face.  I was sixteen at the time and it was a different experience than what my oldest daughter experienced today.

I went home and felt horrible.  There were no pain pills for me....only Advil.  I remember using ice packs but they were in the form of ice pounded with a hammer and put inside a plastic bread bag.  It worked. I'm not complaining.

This morning Makenzie had four teeth removed by an oral surgeon.  She was put out for the procedure and not only had a well qualified dental M.D. she had a nurse that attended to her as well.  So when she passed out from the IV going in her they were quick to react with cold compresses.  Makenzie came to quickly and they then gave her the gas she needed to drift off to slumber land.  Afterwards they put her in a recovery room with a warm down blanket, a pillow and monitored her vitals.  Wow, things have improved I thought to myself as I joined her in recovery.  The nurse was super nice, Amy was her name.  She gave us the lowdown on what we were to do and not to do and then when we were ready they helped Makenzie walk out to our car which was waiting in the special assigned parking spot by the back door.  Nice.

Getting the pain under control this morning was a bit difficult.  I ended up talking to Amy (the nurse) twice on the phone while we got things figured out.  In the end Makenzie ended up taking a Demerol, 4 Percocet and 4 Advil by 4 p.m.  Crazy, huh?  I would only post this on my blog because I know that you, my dear readers, know that I am a good mom.  And all these pills were obviously not at the same time.  What happened is that the numbness wore off sooner than they expected and so we didn't end up giving her the Demerol in time.  Then we ended up playing catch up for a few hours.  By 3 we had the pain under control and found out that our dear Makenzie needs not a 1/2 Percocet for pain but a whole 2 pills at a time for pain.  The nurse assured us that it is fine and she will most likely only need it for 2 days. So as we pump our daughter full of narcotics I am left thinking, Thank Goodness.  I mean, what if we didn't have access to this?  What would her experience be like?  We have nice flexible reusable ice packs and milkshakes flavored with Moonstruck Chocolate.

Yes, she is spoiled.

I even went to Costco to buy her a new blanket.  Then I came home and made meatballs and mashed potatoes and smashed them up with a fork and hand fed her.

Yes, she is being spoiled.

Interesting how we all turn into babies and want our mommies to take care of us when we feel bad.

Update:  It has now been six days since she had her wisdom teeth removed. I have been holding onto this post in hopes that I could get a picture of her with her swollen bruised face...but no can do. She does not want that posted on here. I guess I can't blame her.

4 comments:

Amanda D said...

Good for you for spoiling her! I remember having my widom teeth removed and I can honestly say that it was worse than giving birth the first time. Hope she feels better soon!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Wow! Your experience sounds awful! Mine was emergency surgery with an oral surgeon in Provo the weekend before finals--timing is everything, huh? My situation was a lot more like Makenzie's.

Glad she's recovering well.

I want you to take care of me when I have something happen, okay? You're AMAZING!

Quinn said...

I just love reading your descriptions. Give Makenzie a hug from us.

paula said...

Even a married son called home to momma for help after his wisdom teeth came out. Nothing like a momma's love!!