We are leaving for a family reunion in Idaho on Sunday. We have six people in our mini van and all the stuff to go with those six people. Not only do we need to take clothes and other essential items we need to take bedding and airmattresses. Then the email came that there are no kitchen supplies so we need to bring whatever we need for the kitchen. This equals to quite a bit since there will be a pie baking contest and all three of my girls want to make a pie. I am wondering how we are going to fit everything. But then I think about all the stuff we fit into our van when we went to camp Zarahemla for our family reunion and I think we will manage. We had seven of us then plus we took the bird. I remember my mom carried the bird cage on her lap for the entire trip! This time around Sam is going to the boarders to play with his other bird friends.
So how do I pack?
We are only taking four change of clothes and I am going to do laundry on Wednesday at a local laundry mat. So this means that everyone is packing in a duffel type bag, not too big. I figure all the sleeping bags and sleeping pads alone will fill the car top carrier. That leaves a cooler, crate and suitcases to fit in all the rest of the space. That space includes a very tiny back area and under people's feet. Oh yeah, we have to fit Emma's feis stuff in there too. At the end of the reunion we are heading west to California to go to the Silicon Valley Feis. So that means her feis bucket and the dress, oh the dress! That is going to have to be hung up in the car.
This should be fun! I'll take a picture of the end result, it might be comical.
3 comments:
I hear ya! We're going camping so we have to load up everything we need for camping and five people in the van. We're thinking of putting all three kids on the one bench and taking the other out. We'll have more room for gear that way.
Isn't it funny how as mother's we are thinking of how to pack? When we were kids those thoughts didn't even cross our minds. We were thinking of the magical-ness of an upcoming trip. How time changes...
I understand! That's why we are renting a car when we have the family reunions in August. There was just no way I could pack for the 4 of us for camping in Yellowstone & Indian Mary and all the other stuff we need for the reunions plus all the food and everything else for all of us in our tiny little car. Still excited though. Hope everything goes well and that the Feis especially goes well!!!!
I just packed my car for the second trip this summer (the first one to Italy - oh yeah I'm back I need to write you)about 1 hour ago and said goodbye to my kids and their grandparents who are taking them for 5 days to Denmark. I have learned several things through the years - We really only need about half the clothes on summer vacations. Most of the time everyone is in there swimsuit anyway and wearing clothes more than once just doesn't bother me one bit. It is generally hot, but 1 long pair of pants and 1 sweatshirt just in case is a must. Crock type shoes are actually the perfect solution as they can get wet, they are fine for hot weather but they can be worn with socks too - no need for 20 pairs of shoes in the car. We have six in our minivan - so taking out the one car seat, like your other friend said is a must. Good luck! I was reminiscing with a friend about how they ever did back in the days before minivans!!
Post a Comment