When I attend the Temple of my church I do so to give service. I also receive blessings by attending. I feel that my family is given greater protection from the world's dangerous influences.
For a similar purpose our Stake President of our church has asked each member of our stake to study a conference talk each day. This is something that I have wanted to incorporate into my day but have not been successful. It always seems that I run out of time at the end of the day and it just doesn't get done. Likewise, reading my scriptures was difficult too until I got some scriptures on CD. Now I listen to them all the time in the car and I love it.
So with this having been on my mind lately and a purpose of prayer, I went to the temple. There in that sacred place I received the inspiration I needed in order to attend to my desire of reading a conference talk each day. I wasn't looking for this inspiration. In fact, it came quite unexpectedly. But I was happy for it. And happy for the guidance that my Father in Heaven gives me.
Today I read Elder Richard G. Scott's "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance." In it he shares some very personal and sacred experiences he has had in listening to the Holy Ghost and following it's promptings. He says, "I was given specific directions, instructions, and conditioned promises that have beneficially altered the course of my life." And I love how he continues the story by telling us that there was more. He went to the Lord and asked if He had more guidance for him. And there was. Elder Scott continued to do this until he had received all that the Lord meant for him to know. What an incredible experience and one that I will learn from. How often we get an answer and we think, 'that's it, thank you." Perhaps there is more to the answer if we would only ask.
4 comments:
I just read that talk! I was questioning Matt on if he was knocking the Sunday School teacher in his ward or what? Other than my questions on that I also loved that talk. I liked that he made it clear that no matter what the teacher says, it's up to us to seek the inspiration. Maybe I need to ask if there's more inspiration that I need regarding us moving. Hmmmmmm...... I am glad you got the answers you were seeking.
Darilyn,
I too have been working on listening to conference talks in my car when I am going to places. It is great! I picked them up at Deseret Book and they were such a good deal and I can listen to one talk over and over if I choose too.
I am continually needing to remind myself that faith needs action to make things happen..you are such a good example of that!
That was the basis of our Relief Society Lesson on Sunday. Good words!
What a good reminder, thanks!
Post a Comment