Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Today has been lazy. I hope it's not a reflection on how this year will be. I didn't get out of bed until 1 p.m. Once I did, the day has been spent cooking for my family, watching the Rose Bowl and watching a movie together. It's been lazy but it's been a day spent with my family and I love that.

As far as goals for 2010 go I really want to improve my spirituality. I want to feed my spirit more. One of my favorite Christmas gifts was the Book of Mormon on CD. I've wanted this for ahwile now and I'm so happy to have gotten it from my girls. It's amazing how much I can get through just while driving to the gym. It's the coolest.

I also want to look outside outside myself more and give more service. I have a friend who is such a good example to me of this. Almost as soon as she moved here to Oregon she saw that her neighbors lawn needed to be mowed so what did she do? She went and asked if she could mow it. It turned out that they were an older couple in their 70's and they did in fact need some help. She not only mowed it that time but continued to mow it every week even after her and her family moved across town. She called me today and told me how this couple was losing their home and needed some help packing up and moving. They don't have any family in the area and are a result of losing all their retirement in the stock market last year. When this couple found out that they were losing their home they didn't have anyone to turn to. They told their pastor at their church about it but they offered no help. So they called Tiffanie, my friend. Tiffanie and her husband and two young kids spent all this week there helping them pack. Tomorrow we are going to go over and help them pack up. They said to Tiffanie this, "We have such a beautiful picture of the Mormons now."

If anyone would like to help we will be at

7430 SW. Miller Hill Road in Aloha at 9:30 a.m.

I think we are loading up boxes in a truck for them.

I was pleased with myself for finally taking Christmas goodies to my neighbors this year.....until I talked to Tiffanie. I need to do more than a simple offering of sweets. I just don't think about it. I'm going to try to be more aware of the needs of those around me in this upcoming year.

I think that is what my Savior would want me to do.

2 comments:

Amanda D said...

I need to be more aware of the needs of others too. That goes along with December's Visiting Teaching message. Did you get a chance to read it?

Good luck with your goals! Glad you enjoyed your lazy day. I think we get to be lazy until the kids are back in school. :)

Quinn said...

What a sad story Darilyn. I am sure you will be blessed for helping your friend Tiffanie help that couple and I am sure you will see the needs of those around you just as she did. What great examples both of you are!!