Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rite of Passage


It has happened. I have officially crossed that road and gone from young mom to old mom. I don't feel old so how did this happen?

After 3 hours of gathering documents, endless driving, finding ourselves lost and then found Makenzie got her driving permit. She passed on the first try. I'm not surprised.

Someone asked me yesterday if I was freaking out about her getting her permit. After thinking for a second I told them not really because getting the permit didn't really mean anything. I didn't really have any intention of letting her drive. But now I realize I must relent and actually let her drive.

She may think it's her rite of passage but I see it as mine. It's that moment when you realize that you don't have a little girl anymore. She is grown up. It's scary and you feel like running home and covering up all traces of grey in your hair.

But as she handed me her temporary permit I could not help staring. My thoughts turned from myself to her. She is gorgeous. I mean drop dead pretty. How can someone have such a good picture on their license?

So how again did this happen? How did my strong-willed, feisty 4 year-old end up with a driving permit? It is one of those mysteries of life.

10 comments:

Grace said...

good for her...our oldest Becky was the same way..she wanted her permit and license and soon as she could..

Amanda D said...

It is definitely a rite of passage for you! Wow. I can't imagine but I know it will be here before i know it.

Oh, and no way you are old. No way.

Melissa-Mc said...

Is it a rite of passage or a ride of passage? Ha ha. May she have a lifetime of safe driving.

Chris said...

Which reminds me... Need to buy more guns!

nanna said...

Awww...I so remember when her dad got his license.. Katy, our neighbor called me and said he had just passed her waving it in the air and saying.."FREEDOM".
Makenzie's picture is gorgeous..so she has broken all the rules..good picture and passed on first time...

Sarah said...

Congrats! I remember when I got mine. I was so excited!

paula said...

Next year a license HOLY COW does time fly by.....That is when the grey hair comes in..

Kathy VonTrapp said...

I know Darilyn...Joshua has his driver's permit too and it is so weird to see him driving! He might be taller than me (and smarter), BUT he is too young to be driving...right? I'm feeling like an old mom too, especially since I turn 40 in a couple of weeks (ahhhhh). What happened to our babies???

Krista Lou Cook said...

I just keep laughing about the gray hair :) I think Makenzie started giving you that when you were pregnant with her! I found the cutest picture of her and Emma when you had your first Aloha house.

Mandy said...

Good for her...not so good for you! lol. This is just one of the many moments I know I am going to dread with Mikaila. Time DOES fly too fast at times.