Monday, September 7, 2009

What to take on a white water rafting trip

I would like to thank the following sponsors of my recent flip into the Devils Staircase Rapids on the Rogue River.

First of all, a peek at what Chris and I flipped over into.


I would like to thank Stohlquist. The maker's of very fine PFDs. It saved my life......literally.

I would also like to thank Columbia Sportswear for their women's XCO rain and wind jacket. It's not waterproof which I knew beforehand but since it was so lightweight it did not retain any water. I never felt weighted down when I was in the water.


And to the amazing company of Keen. I loved these shoes from the moment I laid eyes on them. I have had my pair for 4 years now and when truly put to the test they did not come off my feet nor did I hurt my toes on the rocks in the rapids. When I was being rescued by the 20 something kid who dove in to pull me to safety I was ready with my Keens on my feet to climb the rocky cliff to shore.

Next up goes to Chapstick brand lip balm. In years past I have always carried a Burts Bees in my zipper pocket of my swim shorts. It has always been a little watery when I go to put it on. This year I grabbed a Chapstick at the checkout of Walmart at the last minute and I'm so glad I did. It stayed perfectly sealed and took on no water despite swirling around in two rapids.

*note: I have to confess that the fact that the package said "shimmer" was a selling point for me.

Next up is the Igloo cooler we had in our raft. Another friend of ours flipped their cataraft on the same trip. His cooler opened while upside down and he lost his food. Ours did not. Amazing. We had a full New York Cheesecake inside ours and when we opened the cooler afterwards there was not a drop of water inside and the cheesecake was perfect. We had it that night for dinner.


Lastly is our dry bags. We have these dry bags from Seattle Sports.

After being upside down in the water they did what they were supposed to do and kept our stuff dry. Our friends on the other hand had to hang all their personal belongings out that night to dry. We are so happy with our dry bags!

I did lose a pair of sunglasses, croakies and a handkerchief that was on my head. All replaceable.

So if you are considering a white water rafting trip, look at these brands. I recommend them.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

It's always nice to have a recommendation! Thanks!

paula said...

so nice to have you home safe and sound...Thanks for the rafting tips...I still have grapes if you are interested..

Quinn said...

Somehow, it sounds like it was all a bit scary, although you don't go into details. Are you ok? Are you going rafting again anytime soon?

Mandy said...

I havent been rafting in years but the next time I go I'll go prepared! Hope your ok...what are croakies?

Amanda D said...

I'm glad to hear that you were so well prepared! And I'm especially glad that the life jacket did it's job. Sounds like an adventure that you wont soon forget. :)

Melissa-Mc said...

Well, I'm really glad you are alive to blog about it.

Krista Lou Cook said...

I am glad, as well as others I am sure, that the cheesecake remained safe and edible. mmmmmm. Cheesecake.

Rochelle said...

My favorite shoes in the whole world are keens!!!

Tonya said...

Wow! I heard that you guys had gone on some wild white water rafting trip. Sounds like it was major intense. I would love to hear your stories...and thanks for all your recommendations on supplies. Good to know:0)

Chris said...

So I hear there are two types of rafters in the world. Those who have flipped a boat and those who will flip a boat. We have now graduated into the latter.

It was quite humbling to be reminded that we are never really in charge while rafting. The river is in charge and we are along for the ride, coaxing the water to take us where we want. I knew this for certain as I tried unsuccessfully to pull D around the left side of the boat (where the I could see rescue ropes getting ready downriver) while we bounced through the rapids.

I'm glad we both made it through mostly unscathed, too. I think I'll keep my swimming to the calm stretches from now on.

Grand Canyon Expeditions said...

Colorado white water rafting is exhilarating and American Adventure Expeditions wants to be your guide! Let us take you Colorado white water rafting today!

grand canyon rafting