Monday, September 14, 2009

A night among bears on the Rogue River



Our second night we stopped at a place along the Rogue called "Missouri". By the time our group go there many of the spots had been taken by other rafters hoping for a decent nights sleep before the much anticipated "Blossom Bar" rapid the next day. This is a rapid not to be messed with. You want to do it right or suffer the consequences. So a good night of rest is essential. So essential that we had to find a tree. In order for Chris to get a good nights sleep while camping he now has to sleep in a hammock because of his back. No more cuddle time for us. Or so we thought. Keep reading.

There were NO trees at Missouri for Chris to tie his hammock to. I had to use the porta potty so we climbed a hill in search of it. Up there near the outhouse we found a shelter that had been built in memory of one of the first settlers on the Rogue River. It was something we could tie the hammock to and there would be space to put the tent as well. (See Above picture)

As we were setting up everything we noticed this:


You can see it in the 2nd picture on top as well, on the right hand side.

Chris says, "that from a bear. " He shows me how his fingers fit into the grooves of the claw marks. His attempt at duplicating the Discovery Channel does little for my nerves. Then we notice that all of the posts look similarly to this. It's then that I realize we are right in the middle of the BEARS SCRATCHING POST. I ask Chris if we should really be staying there and he assures me that we will be fine. You see, all the other rafters are down the hill. We are the lone people up on top. Then Donna (chris mom) says, you are so brave and should get some kind of award for staying up there." Now I'm beginning to think that it wasn't such a good idea. But I don't have much choice. Everything is set up and it's beginning to get dark.

As I crawl in my tent that night, by myself, i notice a small path right behind my tent going into the forest. I am fairly certain that is where the bear will come from when he decides to eat me.

So in the morning this is where Chris' parents found me.

I'm glad it was a double hammock.

10 comments:

Amanda D said...

That is so cute! I'm so glad you weren't eaten by bears and I'm glad that you were able to cuddle up to Chris too.

Chris said...

This is probably the only time you'll see me in flip-flops, too. As a rule I hate them and only use them in public showers and pools. They were quite nice to have on the river, though, while the Keens dried out.

Rich Vial said...

Great posts Darilyn. I note that you are beginning to get the bird flu. I grew up in Grants Pass and spent a lot, and I mean a lot of time on the Rogue. I have been pinned under at Blossom, Coffepot and Rainy more than once. Thanks for the fun stories and photo's.

Melissa-Mc said...

I'm glad a bear didn't eat you. I love the pic in the hammock.

Siouxsie said...

If ya'll get any more adorable, I think my head will explode...in a good way, of course. :-) I love hearing all your adventures.

Grace said...

the picture of the 2 of you in the hammock is priceless~i am glad you both had such a great time!

Sarah said...

oooh you look so snuggly and cute in that hammock together!

nanna said...

the hammock shot is so cute!!!!!!!! I too am glad you survived, but I still think your husband owes you a special treat for staying up there!

Tonya said...

You are a brave, brave woman! What a fun adventure. How did you ever sleep in that hammock? It would drive me batty not getting to toss and turn to get comfy.

Quinn said...

Now that is what I call adventure! I told a couple of friends just yesterday about the bears that were around Noxon. I thought I was going to have to pick their jaws up personally off the ground. They don't have bears here really. Well, they had one two years ago, he wandered up from Austria and some hunters shot him. HUGE controversy for several days in the papers. No one I know would have stayed in a scratching post. You get the button for bravery today!!