
On Saturday I went to the General Relief Society Broadcast with my mom. It was fitting that I would be there with her because the message of the evening was Relief Society being a legacy. A legacy to be proud of. I love Relief Society but I haven't always. When I was newly graduated from High School my bishop cornered me and a few of my friends and told us we should go to Relief Society. I remember having a few things to say about that. And it wasn't good either. I can't remember if my mom was Relief Society president or not at the time, but I made a point of making a stink about going. Our Bishop eventualy ushered us up the stairs and into the room. We made our way to some chairs in the back and sat there, determined to not learn anything new or enjoy ourselves. But I went back the next week and the next and the next.
When I think of a legacy of Faith and Service I think of my mom. I know no better example. She taught me to love and serve no matter what circumstances someone is in. I'm grateful for that. I'm hoping to pass that legacy down to my own children.
This past weekend while in Coos Bay I was sick. The kind of sick where you don't have a voice and you are just pretty much miserable, the worst head cold. I debated about going but knew if i didn't my mom would be disappointed. So I went. And I slept. I slept 10 hours each night I was there and took a 2 hour nap each day. And my mom let me. The only sound I heard was the wind in the Cedar branches outside the open window of my room. It was lovely. Thank you, mom for a great weekend. I'm glad we could go to conference together and I'm so happy for the legacy you have provided your daughters and grand daughters.
6 comments:
Oh, Darilyn, I love this. I think I'd like your mom. She sounds wonderful.
What a wonderful mom you have!! She sounds remarkable just like her daughter!
There's no place like (being sick at) home! I'm glad you were able to spend time with your mom this weekend! And, you are leaving your girls a wonderful legacy!
It makes me miss Marilyn! Please give her my love next time you talk to her. I am sick right now too with that kind of cold and NO ONE around to help out. I long for my mommy at times like these. Hope you are feeling better.
this is such a lovely tribute to a wonderful woman! Usually this kind of tribute comes after someone dies...this is so much better. You have a great mom...but she has a great daughter as well.
What a blessing to have such a wonderful meeting.
Post a Comment