Sunday, August 24, 2008

Let's dig in the dirt

A couple of years ago we planted potatoes for the first time in our garden. I don't know why I waited so long. Every year while growing up we would have rows and rows of potato plants. It was Krista's and my job to plant them and help harvest them. I remember the feel of the dirt through my fingers and the smell as I would unearth more of that rich soil to uncover a treasure. Then I would dig a little more to find even more treasures. Potatoes are amazing plants. You plant three little seed potatoes in a mound of dirt and come back a few months later to unearth about 10-15 potatoes all connected underground through their network of roots. A couple of days ago I decided it was time to see what kind of treasures my girls could find under our own potato plants. This is what Emma found.



I couldn't believe my eyes. Our potatoes are bigger and better than any we have grown before. We certainly found some treasures.

See the green onions? I found those among the potato plants. They apparently sprouted up from some compost we threw in there this spring. You just gotta love a garden!

I washed all the potatoes up and put the big ones away for baked potatoes another day. The little ones I threw in a pan with some olive oil, fresh chives from my herb garden and some sea salt and baked them in the oven. When they were done they didn't even make it out of the pan.
We all kept wandering over and eating one and then another until they were all gone. Oh so good.

P.S. Merilee, you better hurry up before we get too greedy with these and dig up your share!

15 comments:

ducklips said...

How fun! I have only dug up potatoes once in my life and that was on my mission. Your post makes me want to go dig in the dirt. The potatoes sound yummy too.

Siouxsie said...

I never really thought of planting potatoes but maybe I'll have to see if Rob is game for it because those look fantastic!!

Rochelle said...

A garden is so rewarding!

Krista Lou Cook said...

Remember Miss Piggy potato?

Sarah said...

I really need to do more next year. We did tomatoes this year. You inspire me to garden too!

Merilee said...

Those sound so good. I can't wait till I can plant my own garden and stop bumming from yours. Your awesome by the way!

Melissa said...

Gardens are great! We've had some great lettuce and tomatoes and peppers from ours this year. Next year i need to plant more peppers. Our tomatoes are coming on strong now and I think pretty soon we will be bombarded by romas. Plus our pumpkins are doing great..I so love growing our own jackolanterns every year! Anyway, those potatoes look great (and I'm not even a potato fan!)

Jodi said...

I love the way you described uncovering little 'treasures' because as a kid that is EXACTLY how I remember it! Except our potatoes were red ;)
Gardens are so rewarding for parents and kids. I bet it is something your daughters will be writing about on THEIR blogs in years to come!

Melissa-Mc said...

Yum. Wish I lived closer.

Mandy said...

How fun! I've always wanted to plant a garden myself. Someday when I have a yard big enough. Your potatoes are Amazing!!

Bridget said...

Yum. Lucky you. I love the random green onion. How cool is that?

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Okay, can you say YUMMY! Just remember that you actually stored your bigger potatoes, or you will be left with a smelly disaster like I did!

Amanda D said...

The harvest is well worth the work! Next year, I plan to be on the ball and get some potatoes planted. They sound delicious!

kelly said...

those are amazing. i just garden it pots, it's not quite the same thing.

brenda said...

Cool! I'm a gardening idiot, but I didn't even know you could grow potatoes here.