Here is the recipe for the BEST DILL PICKLES EVER according to me. One thing to note about this recipe, because of the amount of vinegar/water ratio these are supposed to be stored in the refrigerator, not a shelf. However, my mom said she kept hers on the shelf and they were just fine. I tasted them and I didn't die or puke. In fact, I claimed them to be the best dill pickles ever. My mom is a Master Food Presever (there really is such a thing) and if she would keep them on a shelf then I would. But you can't quote her on that because she is a Master Food Preserver and it would be against everything she knows to be holy and true if you quoted her on something that wasn't absolutely according to the food preservation bible.
DILL PICKLES
What you need:

Pickling cucumbers (I had 7 lbs), distilled white vinegar, fresh dill, whole red chilies, garlic cloves, pickling salt and grape leaves.
You also need to have quart jars (think one lb. cucumbers per jar) and rings and lids for these jars. Do yourself a favor and use wide mouth jars and lids. They are so much easier for cramming resistent cukes.

What you need:
Pickling cucumbers (I had 7 lbs), distilled white vinegar, fresh dill, whole red chilies, garlic cloves, pickling salt and grape leaves.
You also need to have quart jars (think one lb. cucumbers per jar) and rings and lids for these jars. Do yourself a favor and use wide mouth jars and lids. They are so much easier for cramming resistent cukes.
Did you guess what my secret ingredient is? Grape leaves. Yep, picked from the vine and washed. You don't want to make this without. If you have to then use alum instead but I'm telling you they will not be as good.
1. Wash and clean your cucumbers.
2. Wash your quart size jars in hot water and set aside.
3. Pack each jar with 1 grape leaf, 1 small red pepper, one small clove of garlic. (If your cloves of garlic are really big just cut in half) and one sprig of dill. If the heads of your fresh dill are really big, tear them in half. Like this:
1. Wash and clean your cucumbers.
2. Wash your quart size jars in hot water and set aside.
3. Pack each jar with 1 grape leaf, 1 small red pepper, one small clove of garlic. (If your cloves of garlic are really big just cut in half) and one sprig of dill. If the heads of your fresh dill are really big, tear them in half. Like this:
4. Trim off the blossom end of each cucumber. I like to trim both ends so I did. You can do that too if you like. My mom, the Master Food Preserver, says it isn't necessary but sometimes I just can't tell which end is the blossom end so I just trimmed both ends off all of them to make it fair for all pickles involved.
5. Pack your jars with cucumbers. Cram them in there.
6. Add a second sprig of dill on top.
7. In a large pot, for each jar you have packed, mix:
5. Pack your jars with cucumbers. Cram them in there.
6. Add a second sprig of dill on top.
7. In a large pot, for each jar you have packed, mix:
1/2 cup vinegar
1 Tablespoon pickling salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon pickling salt
1 1/2 cups water
8. Bring to a boil and pour into packed jars.
9. Place lid and screw bands on lids.
10. Put large baking sheet in a 200 degree oven.
11. Place quart jars, standing up, on baking sheet and let sit on a 200 degree oven for one hour.
12. Remove from the oven and let cool on wire rack.
Most pickle recipes require the pickles to sit for 6-8 weeks in order to complete the "pickling" process. This recipe however is ready to eat the next day. It has to do with putting them in the oven for that hour.
13. Store jars in the refrigerator.
9. Place lid and screw bands on lids.
10. Put large baking sheet in a 200 degree oven.
11. Place quart jars, standing up, on baking sheet and let sit on a 200 degree oven for one hour.
12. Remove from the oven and let cool on wire rack.
Most pickle recipes require the pickles to sit for 6-8 weeks in order to complete the "pickling" process. This recipe however is ready to eat the next day. It has to do with putting them in the oven for that hour.
13. Store jars in the refrigerator.
5 comments:
Yes!!! I can't wait to try making these. Your Mom is not the only canning master. You know I love everything you make!
I have never canned or even seen anyone can anything. I have always wanted to learn. Maybe I'll just have to give it a try. I love pickles. Jeremy is obsessed with pickles. I don't say that lightly. He even loves to drink the pickle juice. Although as you can imagine I have only let him do in on a rare occasion.
I agree with Merilee. Everything I've ever eaten that you made was excellent! You have inspired me to give canning a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe. By the way would this same recipe make good pickled beans or would that be a different one?
Dang, where was this post two months ago when I was attempting to make pickles. I searched high and low for a pickle recipe that sounded good to me and in the end I just made one up from all the bits and pieces I picked up. I really liked them thank goodness. It was almost the same as yours but instead of the chilis I used a few pieces of chopped onion and double the garlic. I think I will try your recipe next. Sounds yummy!
OOOH I want to make these now. I love the ingredient pictures! I really like pickles that have a little spice to them so I am excited about the chilis
I actually canned regular and pickled green beans this year. My first time ever. I thought you had to do beans in a pressure canner, do they work in a water bath as well? Next week Veteran Peaches are on-good as a free stone canner.
Post a Comment