
I want to let everyone who reads my blog know about a great event that's being held on September 6th. On this day many women, men and their families will be walking to bring awareness to violent crimes against women. Not too long ago my dear friend, Rochelle, was a victim of rape and survived. She is one of the 2% of women who actually see the inside of a court room and win. Hearing her story is inspiring and I hope that you can dig a little in your pockets and help her reach her goal of raising $2000 by September 6th. If we all give a little we can do a lot!
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes.
The point? Awareness!
"There is an old saying: "You can't really understand another person's experience until you've walked a mile in their shoes." Walk a Mile in Her Shoes asks men to literally walk one mile in women's high-heeled shoes. It's not easy walking in these shoes, but it's fun and it gets the community to talk about something that's really difficult to talk about: gender relations and sexual violence.
Violence does not just affect women. It affects the men who care about them, their families, their friends, their coworkers, and their communities.
Sexual violence is epidemic. Some of the statistics: Every two minute someone in America is raped. One in six American women are victims of sexual assault.That means someone you know, someone you care about, has been or may become the victim of sexual violence. It may be your mother, your sister, your friend, your girlfriend, your wife, your coworker, or your daughter."
7 comments:
Those are such sad statistics. I love the idea of having the men in high heels.
WOW! Thank you Darilyn for posting this on your blog, it brought me to tears!
What an amazing event. I've never even heard of such a thing. Those statistics are so horrible and they terrify me. Tell me how I can help your friend.
What a great event. Thanks for letting us know. It's a tough topic but definitely one that needs addressing.
Thanks Darilyn. I heard about this. I think it is a great cause. Paula
What a brave and strong person she is!
Thank you for doing this post, D. Sounds like a great way to raise awareness--I'll go if I can. Your friend is so brave.
I love your blog!!!
Post a Comment