In my roadmap I briefly mention a time in my life when many of my friends learned about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and were baptized. This occurred during high school.
So our 20th class reunion seemed like a great time to get all of us together. The last time we were all together was in 2000. We are spread out across the country and one of us even lives in Germany. As our reunion was approaching it looked like there was only going to be three of us there. Then, miraculously, two weeks ago I got a phone call from Eva. "I'm coming and I'm going to get a hold of Naomi and try to get her there too." I replied with, "Okay, I'll call Leah." Within 48 hours everyone had a booked plane ticket except for Quinn in Germany.
This is how it started. The ending is almost too emotional to write about. I debated whether to put this in my blog but since this is my journal I couldn't NOT write about it. It's hard to say goodbye to those you love. I'm not good at it. Who is? I stayed strong as I hugged each one of them goodbye but as I drove away I sobbed. Sad because I don't have them in my life on a daily basis to share every minute with and happy because our friendship is one of a kind. I also think tiredness has something to do with it.
When I went to bed:
Thursday: 1:30 a.m.
Friday: 2:00 a.m.
Saturday: 3:00 a.m.
Sunday: 6:00 a.m.
This was of course getting up extremely early each day too for the various reunion events and church and driving to the airport.
I am tired.
I have tons to say about the fact that I got to see some great people that I hadn't seen in 20 years. And I will blog about that another time. But for now, I just have to say that I am grateful for Sabrina, Michelle, Naomi, Eva, Leah and Quinn. Naomi, Quinn and Sabrina are converts. Eva made a comment last night about how not only did they gain testimonies while taking the discussions, those of us that were already members gained ours as well. We did it together and I will always be so grateful to my Father in Heaven for that. Your testimony is strengthened as you share it and that is what happened for each of us.
I have two things that I love the most about my time spent with these friends. Laughing, we are really good at this. And singing. The adults in our life were begging us to sing because that is what they remember the most of us. We used to travel around in our stake and sing in various wards. I think the love that we have for one another comes through in our voices and it makes for some amazing music. After singing the closing song in sacrament meeting, my husband, turns to all of us and in a very serious voice says, I don't care what you do tonight but you HAVE to sing that song again tonight at our house. We all laughed because he was so serious but we also understood what he meant.
Then there is the laughing. It feels like it is seriously non stop when we are all together. It's exhausting and I wouldn't have it any other way. One thing after another kept fueling the stockpile of material we had to laugh about. I won't get into it all because it wouldn't be funny to you. I will say this though, don't stand with your hands clasped behind your back if you think a strange man may come up and hug you from behind. There is only one place those hands will end up. I was glad I had hand sanitizer.
We were all emotional at the end of the weekend and made promises to have another reunion next year. Our bishop and his wife of when we were in high school have insisted we have our next reunion at their home. This time Quinn will be there and it will be complete.
This video clip is of singing one of our favorite songs from Girls Camp.
19 comments:
Wow!! That is an amazing thing to have a group of friends with such a special and amazing connection. How wonderful to get back together like that...and the singing was beautiful. Thanks for sharing about it.
Thatnks for posting. It was good to see pictures of everyone. Wish I was there. -
What a wonderful time spent with friends! I think it is so great that you still keep in touch, and even better that you have all those memories. Thanks for sharing!
You are amazing Darilyn. And how fun to have such a close group of friends that you still keep in touch with. I am exhausted just looking at your sleeping patterns though.
Ditto to what Krista said... thanks to you all for being such amazing examples of love and sisterhood (Especially to a little girl who grew up with the likes of Troy and Butch!). Us younger girls were watching... and you helped us with our testimonies, too.
It's so great to have you as a friend! I can only imagine how much fun you had with these friends you've had since you were in high school:) What an amazing way to spend the weekend!
That is a great story and i'm so glad you shared it. Moving around my whole life I never felt like I got to make lasting connections, but once I got into high school I met some wonderful people who I do still keep in contact with. The bond you share with these girls sounds amazing and the singing was so beautiful.
Such beautiful voices! Ian stopped playing, came over to my computer, pointed and said "wow..." I agree wholeheartedly!
It sounds like you had a lot of fun and are in desperate need of some sleep!
Good friends are a great blessing!
How wonderful that you got to spend time with those ladies! What a blessing to have remained close for so many years. Listening to you all sing together got me all teary-eyed! - remembering friendships from high school that aren't so close now.
I enjoyed reading this! I think it's great that you've stayed in touch and all spent the weekend together!
I love the way you live your life so fully and genuinely, D. Thanks for sharing.
This is very sweet thanks!! Thats what friends are for!!Paula
Okay Darilyn,
I am in complete tears here. I have been on an emotional and spiritual high since our weekend together. thank you for being you and for being one of my very best friends. I will love you forever and I will cherish this weekend for my entire life. I'll send you everyone's testimonies when I get them all together into one big document. Can I "steal" your video clip? Love you, Eva
I was cryng right along with you - what a beautiful story! I love that song!
Ok- add me to the list of "wish I were there's" thanks for sharing and I loved hearing you guys singing!
How fun!
I finally have a google account so I can leave comments! I read this right after you posted it and the tears just streamed down my face. I miss you all so much and wish I could have been there. There was more I wanted to say, but I can't sit here and bawl again, so I am not going to reread it to know what it was. Just thanks Darilyn for always being bold enough and strong enough to share your convictions. I love reading many of your blogs and feeling the spirit in which they were written. You have great faith and you always have! For that I am eternally grateful. Love you! (so much for not crying - ha)
Post a Comment