Sunday, May 11, 2008

The other day on the radio the host was saying that he didn't feel he had to get a gift for his wife for mother's day. They have one small son and his feeling was that he was was supposed to do something for his Mother but not his wife. A slew of people called and emailed in to the station telling him their opinion on the subject. Most thought that he was wrong and that he should be setting a good example for their young son by giving something to his wife. There were also a few, including women, that agreed that mother's day is for honoring his mother not his wife. I listened with curiosity and it's been something I've been thinking about all weekend. I expect my husband to do something for me or to organize my children to do something for me. I don't really have any expectations of what he does for his own mother. I do encourage him to call her but I don't buy a card and have him sign it and mail it to her from him. He's a big boy. He can do it himself. I don't expect my husband however to buy me gifts. I really just want to be shown that I'm appreciated. Isn't that what we all want? So what do you all think? Do you expect you husband to do something for you for Mother's Day or just for his own mother, the one who raised him?

14 comments:

Sarah said...

I would be crushed if he didn't do anything for me on Mother's Day. I am the mother of his children after all. I"m like you, I don't expect anything big. Although I have to say that he always out does himself and helps the boys make it special for me. We've never talked about it, it's just always been that way.

My opinion, I think the husband should call his mom and or send a card/flowers or something like that. I have to say that I love how my husband does it. He usually talks to his Mom. I"m sure if we weren't poor students, he'd send her some flowers. He spends most of his time (with help from the boys) making the day special for me. It makes me think about the scripture of a man leaving his family and cleaving to his wife. The focus becomes his wife and the children they have created together. I feel that way, I feel his gratitude to me for being his wife and mothering his children.

I think something should be done for both but I think the main focus should be the wife.

Bridget said...

I agree with Sarah. The wife is the focus but the husband also should call and/or write to his mother too. Nathan remembers both which I'm very grateful for.

Aundrea said...

I expect something for ME to be done! Kelly is good about it, and is also good about calling his mom and talking to my mom and grandma when I call them:)

Tonya said...

I think the radio host was dillusional! I would feel so sad if my husband didn't recognize me on Mothers day. I think it's a day to recognize all the mothers in your life that have made a difference. My hubby does a great job of making it a special day. Yesterday he took all the kids downstairs and they made me an awesome breakfast which they served me in bed. He also gave me a card with tickets for us to go see Phantom of the Opera in August. I bought the cards for our Mom's and we called both.

Tonya said...

I think the radio host was dillusional! I would feel so sad if my husband didn't recognize me on Mothers day. I think it's a day to recognize all the mothers in your life that have made a difference. My hubby does a great job of making it a special day. Yesterday he took all the kids downstairs and they made me an awesome breakfast which they served me in bed. He also gave me a card with tickets for us to go see Phantom of the Opera in August. I bought the cards for our Mom's and we called both.

Melissa said...

Ideally both. While the children are young I expect (and he knows) that he helps them 'remember me. He also on his own has says he feels he should anyway because I'm the mother of his children. This year he ordered me a cake from Coldstone YUM! I also make sure Bruce calls his mom. But then I'm kind of the memory in the relationship anyway, I'm the one that buys his parents Christmas gifts, birthday gifts whatever.

Jodi said...

Interesting discussion. I would feel VERY sad if Jamie didn't do anything for me. He doesn't necessarily have to buy me a gift but I want to feel pampered which means I don't have to do the 'normal' mom stuff...fix meals, get kids ready for church, change diapers, ect!
In my opinion, if the husband doesn't recognize that it is a special day for MOM than the kids will follow suit. It is the husband's job to teach the kids what Mother's Day is all about.

Rochelle said...

Both, I think both. Mothers in general need to be appreciated and recognized.

Amanda D said...

I think that husbands should honor the mother's of their children. Like Sarah, I would be so disappointed if my husband didn't do anything. I don't expect a lot.

Interesting topic, Darilyn. I'm curious, what did most on the show think? Did most agree with him?

Melissa-Mc said...

My husband and I try to honor each other on our special days as well as our parents. We have a tradition of breakfast in bed on both mothers and fathers day, and my children love doing this.

I hope also when my children are raised that they will call me.

Mandy said...

I've always felt that Mikael was suppose to honor me since I am the mother of his child but on the other hand, his mother wants nothing and expects nothing not even a card. So the fact that Mikael doesnt do anything for me shouldnt surprise me but it does everytime. He's still in training... he did get me some flowers which I thought was very thoughtful.

Rachel Bancroft said...

Heck yeah, I expect my husband to do something nice for me for Mothers Day. Flowers and a day off of cooking and cleaning is usually what I ask for and gratefully receive. Josh knows by now that for me, a little pampering = sanity. As for his mother, calling is up to him. Also, Emma helps me make little notes for all of her grandmas and great-grandmas.

Hailey Vial said...

ohh.... this is a soft spot for all us moms huh!
I agree with you all, I want to be remembered. I want to feel appreciated, at least on one forced occasion. My husband and kids were all sick on sunday. So, no scene like the cover of "The Friend."
Also, I buy my own mother's day presents. I picked a beautiful lotus necklace this year. last year it was a purse. Nic doesn't shop for me, and so I do it myself. Whatever gets the job done. And on Sunday, my mom called me first to wish me a Happy Mother's Day first. Isn't that sweet?

Darilyn said...

Great thoughts here. It seems pretty unanimous that women do expect their husbands to do something for them on mother's day even if they aren't great at remembering to do something. It's still expected and we are hurt when they don't. As for the honoring of their moms, it seems like we all think it's a great idea too. So I guess that means when father's day rolls around we know what is expected of us ladies! Do something for the father of your children and then call up your own father, step father or whatever male was significant in your life.