I'm having a complex and it's your job as my fellow bloggers to pump me up and help me feel better. Come on, i know you can do it. I have confidence in your pumping up abilities.
On monday I went and had a pedicure with my friend Jen. I had been looking forward to this for a couple weeks. I had told myself I had to wait until after the hike. So off Jen and I go to bask in those lovely massaging chairs and soak our feet in warm sudsy water. We are getting into the chairs, storing our stuff and the lady doing Jen's pedicure says to me, "is this your daughter?" Huh? What? I laugh it off and say "No, she's my friend." Now, I know that Jen is a lot younger than me. Quite a bit younger. But do I really look like her mother? I really didn't let this bother me too much until Tuesday evening.
Last night we were at Emma's dress rehearsal and I had an encounter with the rudest man. It was all I could do to not scratch his eyes out. Or accidentally push him as I was walking down the hall. I won't go into why he was so rude because that isn't what this post is about. He was just rude. And he had beady eyes. But i digress. This man says to me, "your husband just stood up right in front of me." I look over at my DAD and say back to him, "That isn't my husband, it's my dad." He just laughed in my face. That was strike number two for him. "you want to go outside buddy?" No, i didn't really say that. But I wanted to.
What is up? So after that comment I of course remembered what the blind pedicure lady had said to me. And I started having a complex about my age and the aging process. I'm not one to care about these things typically but if i look like i could be my dad's wife, that is something to worry about.
I asked Chris last night, "Do I look like i'm 40?" Which I'm not yet by the way. Not quite yet. I'm getting close but I'm not there yet. He very dutifully said, "No." Good answer honey because if you'd answered differently I might have to take you outside.
17 comments:
Are you really almost 40? Serioulsy this isn't a let's make you feel better ploy, but are you really almost forty? I would have thought 30's, early 30's. Hmm I learn something new everyday. Your a beautful lady in your young 30's and you still got it goin on!
That rude guy was just jealous because he thought your dad had a HOT trophy wife!! (I want you to do a seperate post and tell us about the rude man, I can feel my face getting hot just thinking about how stupid people can be!)
When my mom is in town she always gets asked if she's my sister...major boost for her, major let down for me:)
You are a hottie!
What the ????? Are you freakin' serious? There is NO way that you look old enough to be Jen's mom. No way.
And was it dark inside the dress rehearsal? It sounds like the rude man with beady eyes was sitting behind you guys and didn't get a good look at you or your Dad. My guess is that he just assumed it was your husband because you were sitting next to him. What a rude man...so sorry.
You are gorgous...don't let ANYONE make you feel any different!
You look SO good Darilyn! No, you do not look 40. Not even close. You are beautiful!!
I do know that disappointed feeling though. Yesterday we went to the temple as a primary presidency and we saw the Orrs. Jeff was there waiting for Kathy and as I said hello to him someone asked, "is she your wife?" HELLO??? Do I look old enough to be married to Jeff Orr?? Yikes. I hope not.
This just proves that many people in life walk around either drunk, stoned or without their brain. Silly, silly people.
I don't know Jen, but if she is the one on your link list, you definitely look like friends, NOT mother and daughter.
People trying to make conversation sometimes just talk without even really looking.
Old men marrying younger women is becoming more common these days. The jerk probably saw you together and assumed (like the above comment) that you were his trophy wife.
You are young and beautiful.
All right you guys all win for being the greatest friends ever. I knew I would feel better.
There must be some kind of age morphing rudeness disease going around because the other day someone asked me if Diane Gibson was my mom and someone asked Anton if my 15 year old sister was his daughter. It has nothing to do with you because you look HOT - people just say things without thinking...or even looking. Maybe the rude guy couldn't see clearly through his beady eyes.
Oh, goodness! I am being completely honest when I say that you don't look 40 or 50 or 60. That's just really weird. You are hip and young and beautiful and wonderful. Don't worry about what the weirdos out there say. :-) Much less the blind weirdos.
they obviously were not even noticing you! the rude man was just, well, rude to start off with so how could we expect anything more from him. and the blind nail lady was probably high from too many nail salon fumes! place no import on either of their comments because you are youthful and beautiful! and don't let any blind, rude people make you think differently!
I think that man's eyes must have been super beady. Just think of it this way, other than the rudeness, that would have made your dad's day that someone thought he had a wife as hip and young as you. You are freakin' awesome.
So, this morning Kas was looking at a cereal box with Indiana Jones on it. He goes,"He is so old, he's probably 37,38,or 39." I said,"What!? Do you think he looks that close to my own age?" Noticing his mistake he says,"No, you look more like 29." Good save Kas! Then trying to make me feel better, Zo says,in the sweetest voice you can imaginge,"Mom, you only look 44."
Gotta love it!
Oh yeah, just to make this longer. I am so excited for you guys to come to AZ. Sorry I didn't even respond to that before. I've kind of been in a bubble. We are going to have so much fun!
Ok, no way to you even look close to Dads age. I think both the Pedi lady and the beady eyed man were to preoccupied with themsleves to even give a good look. Before you go to bed each night think say out loud to yourself, I am young and vivacious. :)
Well, I think everyone has said it all, so I have nothing new to add. I think you are the hippest dresser and coolest-lookin' chick. I wish I had half your style!
Ok, I wish I would have read this sooner! Darilyn, the lady at the nail shop wasn't just blind she was Korean and Korean women don't age! She is use to looking at women who look like they are 20 untill they're grandmothers so I don't think she can count as a realiable judge of age at all. There is no way you look like my mother, I was surprised when I realized you already had a 14yr old daughter! You are a fun, hip, young mom, and in case you have forgotten just check out your hot and crazy, black and white polka dot, french tip toenails!
As for the rude guy, don't worry about him, he must not know that you are the life of the party, every party! And I'm sure that won't change even when you are 40 something!
i think people just don't pay attention, and that guy just sounds rude... and probably said it in order to get a rise out of you. i go out with my sister all the time, who is 11 years younger, and i often get asked if she is my daughter. hello?
I'm late to comment, but feel I must. Darilyn, you and Krista BOTH look at LEAST 5+ yrs younger than you are on paper. I've always thought so. So to think you look older? Absurd.
People are blind sometimes. You are one of the most youthful people I know, no matter what your age!
And isn't 40 supposed to be the new 30? =)
Post a Comment