Thursday, January 17, 2008

When I'm doing my transcription work I need everyone else logged off the computer so that my files will work right. My children forget to do this sometimes, causing mom to go into "stress mode". This consists of my eyes getting big and a quick yell to the nearest child of "Did you forget to log off?" When they see this look of mine i'm sure they are hoping they are not the guilty culprit. The other day it was Heidi who was the guilty one. I told her to come here and to tell me her password so that I could log her off. She reached across me to the keyboard to type it in. I insisted that she not type it in and just tell me the password so that when it happens again I could just log her off. She didn't want to tell me. So then I start to get really irritated. "Heidi, just tell me it, you can whisper it in my ear if you want." As I'm saying this she is still trying to type it in. I'm pretty annoyed by this point (remember my goal about having more patience with my children this year?) and I yell, "Heidi, just tell me your password." She sighs, leans over and whispers, "Ilovemomanddad" What could I do at that point except to look in her eyes, apologize for being the meanest mother ever and tell her I love her too?

I will not be receiving the Mother Of The Year award.....this year.

17 comments:

Merilee said...

Heidi's so sweet, and you're so mean. How did that happen? j/k

Just a heads up. Michelle L has been posting!

Siouxsie said...

Isn't it amazing how our snapping moments are so often so badly placed? I hate it when that happens. You know what the best thing is, though? Our kids still love us...for a few more years at least. :-)

Memory said...

That is so, so sweet...I got tears in my eyes.

Elizabeth Dimit said...

What a sweet daughter you have! Maybe you'll get the Mother of the Year award next year. :-) Seriously, I think you are a great mom. Why else would she have that password?

megan said...

kids are so tricky like that

ducklips said...

Kids are the best. They always know just how to stick a knife in our hearts and make us so proud at the same time.

Jodi said...

Kids have a way of making us feel like CRAP at the perfect moment...don't they? I have had one too many of these moments. I sooooo feel your pain!

Bridget said...

That is so sweet. The password proves it. You're doing a great job!

mahina said...

oh, don't you hate moments like that?! just rips your heart out! whatever you think, you ARE a great mom!

Aundrea said...

I love/hate it when things like that happen! I'm glad I'm not alone:)

Anonymous said...

Oh yikes, that had to sting!!! I have had one too many of those moments myself. They are humbling and bittersweet to say the least. But from what I can tell you are a wonderful mommy, and I am thankful that through mutual friends and blogging I am getting to know you! Thanks for commenting on my last post and adding me to your list, too :)

Becca said...

So sweet! I hate it when I do stuff like that. You are not a bad mother. I need to work a little harder in the patience department too!

Chelle said...

Very sweet of both of you, the fact that was her password and that you let your guard down to say you were sorry, that's what deserves the award. It's not always easy to do.

And yes, I have been posting, thanks Merilee.

Krista Lou Cook said...

Just for being able to stop and tell her you love her back puts you in first place as mother of the year!

Rachael said...

At first when I started to read your story I am thinking, why doesn't she know her kids passwords, for safety and security reasons. I check my kids stuff out all of the time. But then her password was so sweet, what kind of trouble is a girl going to get into with a password like that. So cute!

Melissa said...

Aw..what a sweetie!

Alisa said...

*sigh*...I understand that one all too well. How darling your daughter is.