Friday, January 25, 2008

RIVERDANCE

On Wednesday night, Emma and I went to see Riverdance at the Keller Auditorium. I knew it would be good but I wasn't expecting everything that it encompassed. Riverdance tells a story. It's not just different dance numbers all evening long. It starts with the first people to live in Ireland and moves through the civil war in the 1920, the immigrants coming to America and then shows the lives of the Irish people in America as well as Ireland. And all this is done through song and dance. It was interesting to see the expressions on their faces fit the mood of the music, going from stoic and somber to so much joy. It was beautiful.

This was Emma's birthday present. She turns 10 in a couple weeks and really wanted to go to this since she has been studying Irish Dance for over a year now. She LOVED the show and is more committed than ever to this form of dancing.

Here are a couple of clips of the show.



Remember the Friends episode where Chandler is afraid of Michael Flatley in Lord of the Dance? I just couldn't help thinking about that during the show because it's kinda true. It DOES look like their legs are not connected to their bodies, especially the men. Go to 3:36 in the time frame and start watching from there. This is Michael Flatley one of the creators of Riverdance.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is just incredible!!! I have always loved watching this kind of dancing and can only imagine how exciting it would be to see it live! What a wonderful birthday present for your daughter :)

Aundrea said...

I didn't know Emma was studying Irish dance! How cool! I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. I kept seeing the commercials on TV and thinking that would be cool to go see. Thanks for the "Friends" flashback, it had me laughing;)

Melissa said...

How exciting we're seeing Riverdance on Feb 9 here at Kingsbury Hall. I'm so excited!!

Bridget said...

That is very, very cool. How fun you got to take her!

Merilee said...

Emma's one lucky girl. How fun!
I wonder how bad their feet hurt at night.

Amanda D said...

That is so funny that you brought up the Friends quote! I totally agree with good ol' Chandler! Thanks for making me laugh...

Chelle said...

You do some great stuff with your kids. You do great stuff in general. What a blast. I'll have to go see that.

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Wow! I would have loved to have seen that. And what a great thing for Emma to be studying. Does she have Irish ancestry?

mahina said...

i heard that this is their last time performing! are they done for good? i would have loved to see them, amazing, amazing dancers! what a fun birthday date with mom! she'll remember this for a long time to come!

Jodi said...

I bet that show was amazing! You are such a great mom...always doing such fun things with your kiddos!

Rochelle said...

I have always wanted to see this show. It would be a fun date with my girl!

nanna said...

I am so glad that you got to go afterall! Scott and I loved it, but I wasn't such a good mum, I left my daughter home, but brought home the dvd, which we watch together. I am so glad Emma is feeling better as well! SHe is a blessed girl with a good momma!

Darilyn said...

Elizabeth- Yes, we do have Irish Ancestry. My dad's great grandparent's were Irish Immigrants.(at least I think it was the great grandparents)

Mahina- they aren't done for good. This is just their last tour in the U.S. I don't know why though. Why wouldn't they go where they could make money?

Donna- Yes, i'm glad we got to go. I didn't think they had my tickets anymore but they apparently did so we got to go. I was really glad I could surprise Emma with it since I didn't think we'd be able to go.