Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My sweet Emma

Today I took Emma into the doctor because she had this on her back and it had spread to her sides and front overnight.



When she first showed them to me there were only a few and she was complaining of how badly they hurt. I was completely stumped as to what they could be. They looked like Poison Oak but it wasn't itchy. It looked like Chicken Pox but once again no itch. So I went to search on the internet and didn't find anything that looked or sounded right. First the pediatrician doing her residency looked at her. She didn't know what it was. I was starting to worry. Then Dr. Apodaca came in and with her smile that we have come to love said, "I have an idea but I'll be right back after I check something."

When she came back she handed me a piece of paper on Shingles. Emma has shingles. They are painful and spreading and are very contagious. You can't get shingles from Emma but you can get Chicken Pox from her. Dr. Apodaca gave me a crash course in Shingles so now of course I'm an expert! Apparently the Chicken Pox virus that Emma had when she was a baby went dormant after they healed. (This is what happens to anyone who has had Chicken Pox) Then in times of stress or weak immune system they can appear as shingles. Interesting huh? I thought so.

This is why Shingles 9 times out of 10 occur in adults. Because we stress WAY more than children. But my Emma loves to worry. She can worry about not getting to school on time, forgetting her lunch box at school, preparing a talk, not being good enough at something. The list goes on and on and on..... She cries a lot and gets upset easily. So thus she has gotten Shingles. So if you haven't been vaccinated for Chicken Pox stay away from our home.

P.S. I wanted to post a picture of Emma's Shingles but she wouldn't let me. I begged and pleaded but thought maybe i was stressing her out so I quit!!!! I'm starting to think this illness is my fault : ) And it will be my own punishment if I get Chicken Pox because I have never had them!!!!!

11 comments:

Rochelle said...

I have heard that this is extremely painful. And bad for pregnant women. I hope she feels better soon!

Aundrea said...

Oh, poor Emma! I remember my grandma having them and she was is sooo much pain, I can only imagine how hard and painful it must be for a 9 year old:( Emma sounds a lot like I was when I was little...I stressed out over everything, and worried about stuff that hadn't (and probably wouldn't)happened. I've gotten better, but still catch my self getting into that way of thinking. I hope she feels better soon and that you don't get anything! (((hugs))) to you and Emma.

mahina said...

oh poor girl! so, how long will she have it? how long does it take to heal? so, does she have to stay away from school till it goes away?

i sure hope you don't get chicken pox! i hear it is worse as adults, but what do i know?!

Becky said...

No fun! My sister got the same thing at that same age. She hasnt had many outbreaks since, but when she does they are dosies.

Bridget said...

Oh that is so sad. Poor Emma.

BTW, I love the photo of you on your blog now. Beautiful!

Jodi said...

Oh man...I am soooo sorry for Emma! My aunt got shingles a few years back and was bed ridden for days. She was in sooooo much pain.
I hope this passes quickly. I'm sending you {{{Hugs}}}!

brenda said...

You've NEVER had chicken pox??? Do they give the vaccination to adults?

Shingles really suck. My little brother got them when we were in D.C. together last year. He was actually vomiting and weak as well. They gave him a prescription for Valtrax? I think that's what it was...an expensive herpes medication that worked to cut the outbreak time in half. But he still had to miss a week of work.

I'm so sorry to hear about her worrying, too! I have the same problem and have even thought about getting therapy for it. But lately I've been trying to just imagine the worst case scenario and accept that even if it comes to that, I can handle it and it's not even that bad. And I've tried to give up on things I can't control. Maybe Shingles is her wake-up call and a good motivation to stop worrying. She is such a darling girl, and it's heartbreaking to think of her worrying AND having shingles pain.
Love to your family!

Krista Lou Cook said...

oh my...... I wish i was there to help! I have had some patients with shingles..... Hope you have some gloves handy! YOu have to give me snaps though, the first thing I thought of when I saw them was shingles! Go me, go me~

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Ooo, shingles! I had them when I was undergoing treatment for Hodgkin's disease. Not a fun time. I hope poor Emma feels better soon! Tell her I think her talk was just fabulous on Sunday! Very well thought out and definitely well presented!

Jen said...

My mom had them right before I had the twins. She was so sick and in a lot of pain. She even scared those rashes were so bad. I hope Emma gets feeling better soon.

nanna said...

I have been praying for Emma ever since you told me about it on Thursday. Today, after I talked to you I found the pjs I was telling you about in PURPLE>>.so I will get them in the mail on Monday. Maybe they can bring a little comfort to her...BTW, I haven't had chicken pox either. Christopher had them when he was 7 but only had ONE POX...then he gave them to Melissa who got them literally EVERYWHERE...there will be a little something in the package for MOMMY NURSE..look for it.