
The first night I read about the Siberian Tiger escaping from the San Francisco zoo and killing a young man and mauling two others, I had a nightmare that night. Complete with crying and calling out in the night. Since then I haven't had another nightmare but I have had a difficult time getting it out of my mind. If you aren't familiar with the story you can read about it here. What bothers me most about this is that Zoos are supposed to be safe places for families to go. At least safe from the animals. The Director of the SF zoo is now saying that the boys taunted the Tiger. Are you kidding me? Does that somehow make them not responsible for the fact that a 350 lb. Tiger could get out of it's holding facility? I don't care if they were waving raw meat in front of it, it still shouldn't be ABLE to get out. Can you imagine walking along a pathway at the zoo and rounding a corner to see an actual live Tiger in front of you? This never should have happened. I hope that all the zoos are taking a closer look at the height of their walls.
13 comments:
Have you read Life of Pi? It makes the whole situation even scarier!
I have read that book. Wow! I hadn't thought about that.
Yes, very disturbing indeed.
Ok, I have that book sitting by my bed and I just haven't opened it yet. I think I will start.
I did hear about that story. Very scary. I hadn't thought about it from that angle though.
I totally agree with you! I was thinking the same thing about rounding a corner and seeing the tiger there, so scary!
That would be way scary! I hope you have no more nightmares!
It was a terrible tragedy for the boy, his family, and the tiger. I was really sad about it. So sorry you had nightmares, Darilyn. A very good friend of mine is a tiger zoo keeper, and he does his utmost to ensure that safety is maintained at the zoo he works at. It's a huge responsibility especially when people's lives are at risk. With zoo keepers like my friend, there is hope yet!
Please don't get mad at me Darilyn, but here is what my dad said: "I saw a picture of those guys. They look exactly like the kind of guys you'd want to maul if you were a Tiger." (Does that give you any insight into my jaded personality? THAT was my upbringing.) He said they had wrist rockets or air soft guns or something. I think it goes to show how amazing the animal is to basically voluntarily stay in captivity when it probably could have gotten out before. The desire for freedom must not be as powerful as the desire for revenge.
I hate this story, too! We love going to the zoo and I know I will be looking around the corner and behind my back the next time we go! Sad :(
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just talked with a friend of mine (like 10 min ago) who works volunteer security at the Portland Zoo and she said they are already looking at more precautions for their tigers (including more plexiglass, wire, etc). Plus they are going to vamp up their security near there esp during concerts so drunks can't do anything taunting like. Also at the Hogle Zoo, while it LOOKS more open, that's an illusion because the whole thing is covered with steel mesh and the entrance to the exhibit has a double set of heavy steel doors with one set having to be closed before the next set can be opened. So at least at those 2 zoos I can tell you you are in safe hands! :)
Yes, I did see pictures of the guys. And I know what you are saying Brenda. Those young men were in the wrong for doing what they did. However, I still feel the Zoo is responsible. Where was their security? Why were their walls so much lower than the recommended height? The animal still should not have been able to get out. So sad for everyone involved including the Tiger. And thanks Melissa for your comments. It does make me feel better knowing my zoo is safe but I would expect no less from Portland. Enough of this topic Huh? I hate it but I had to talk about and get it off my chest.
Yes...I agree!
this is the first that i'd heard about this! how awful!!
Post a Comment