Saturday, August 11, 2007

missing genetic trait

Today when I was in Target and my cell phone rang I sighed, reached for the phone and answered it. Not because I knew it was my oldest daughter calling me but the reason I knew she was calling me: "Mom, Emma hit me. Can you come home RIGHT now?" I put the phone away in my purse...it rings. "Hello?" Emma through tears says, "Mom, Makenzie kicked me really hard." I was heading to the register to check out when I got these calls so soon I was on my way home. On the way my thoughts were that, unlike MY mother, I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Do you remember your mom saying that to you when you were a kid? I do and I somehow missed that genetic trait. I HATE IT when they come running to me saying that one of their sisters hit them. Because in our house there will always be another story. Who do you believe? I have to take both of them at their word and they both get consequences. If I had that missing pair of additional eyes then I wouldn't miss all the stuff they seem to hide from me. But then again, maybe I don't want to see it.

5 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh the hitting.....you're supposed to tell me it goes away when they get older. Ugh. I hate trying to figure out who to punish so they usually both are. Such a pain. What a way to ruin a nice outing to Target. :(

Merilee said...

what I really remember is that my mom did not have a cell phone for us to call and bug her to death!

Melissa said...

Ugh I'm so sorry! I fear when the boys are older as Connor already hits Ian. Good luck to you!

mahina said...

i am so with you! who do you believe? i like the thought of just handing out the consequence to both of them. then, in theory, they would work it out between the two of them! that, of course, is in theory!

Nyree said...

Hi Darilyn! Love your Blog! After a major battle between the 2 boys during a long car journey today, we had them think up a suitable punishment for each other. They loved the idea ... well, that's until we switched the punishments so they would get their own. Hee hee!