
Each summer when I take that first bite of blackberry cobbler and feel that sweet/tartness in my mouth I immediately think of my childhood. When I was a child my mom's sister, Auntie Pat would come visit us in the summer from Utah. The main reason for her visit to Oregon, besides to see her sisters, would be to make as much blackberry jam as is humanly possible in a week! My mom and auntie pat would pack all of us cousins down to the far end of the cow pasture to pick ripe, juice drippin' down your arms, blackberries. We all hated it! We weren't allowed to leave until every bowl in the house had been filled! We would complain and whine the whole time. But that afternoon as the house smelled with the aroma of jam cooking on the stove we would feel like we were in heaven. I do think that will be what my heaven will smell like. We were allowed to eat the foam that my mom would meticulously scrape from the top of the cooked jam. We would slather it on homemade pieces of bread along with homemade butter. Looking back I feel like I grew up in a different world. Homemade bread? Maybe once every two years in this house. But I can make my mom's cobbler. And I do.
2 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
combine sugar, flour, milk and melted butter. Stir until smooth. Pour into greased square baking pan. sprinkle blackberries on top. Cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
9 comments:
That looks and sounds delicious. I am so making it for home evening treat tonight.
Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe.
Do you have any left-over?
yes I do. come on over.
Man Oregon blackberries are the best! I miss them and one of my favorite parts of visiting mom is eating her blackberry jam!
This sounds so good and I have blackberries in my backyard. I am definitely going to have to make it this week. Thanks for the recipe!
Heidi
P.S. It was good to talk to you tonight. I am so glad we are getting to know each other better.
YUM-O! Looks absolutely delicious! I better get out there and get me some blackberries!
ok ok it may be your cooking that gets reuben and i to move up there after all
so i'm engaged to merilee's youngest brother which (i guess) entitles me to blog stalking all of my future in-laws friends... anyway i stole this recipe and made it last night and it is DELICIOUS! haha just wanted to let you know!
I'm glad you liked it Shanda. Congrats on your engagement.
Post a Comment