Friday, August 31, 2007

lesson learned

My children (the youngest two mostly) have been bugging me since the first day of summer vacation to have a lemonade stand. I've been able to put them off mostly because of being busy or the weather. I didn't think sales would be very good when it's raining. Why do you ask am i so loathing of the childhood dream of a lemonade stand? Because it becomes MY project. Yeah, i am a bit selfish. I know this. As much as they say they "will do it all" I know that I will end up with a lot of the work. I put it off as long as possible but since school starts Tuesday I let them do it yesterday. They were so excited but their happiness quickly went away when they couldn't move the small table to the front of the house. I stomped out to the yard, slamming the screen door behind me saying,"see girls, I end up doing this for you! I'm busy canning and don't have time for this" This was followed by them needing help making the lemonade, needing help finding change for customers etc. I know you are cringing reading this. I can be a terrible mom at times! When it was all said and done they had made $6. Not bad for a quiet road in the middle of the day. I was immediately humbled when upon running into the house to show me their money they said quite breathless, "We got more money than we thought for the kids that need clothes and toys." Ahhhh.....yes, I felt so bad for not being more helpful and kind about the whole thing. Their intention right from the start was to do this and earn money for a primary activity they are doing at church. They are bringing in loose change and it is going to buy clothes and toys for children in need. My heart melted and I gave them big hugs. Please forgive me girls. I will be more helpful next time. No matter what your intent.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

That is so sweet. I'm glad you shared that because I would love to tell the primary about what they did. And I think every mom can identify with the feeling of I don't want to do your project for you feeling.

mahina said...

there's nothing like the feeling of being humbled by your kids. i always feel so bad when that happens. good for you for doing it!

Merilee said...

AAAHHHH! And I mean that. That story gave me goose bumps.

Nyree said...

My children's Primary gave them tubes of candy to eat, then to fill up with coins for a similar cause. I have really begrudged doing it but I WILL now! Thanks girls!