Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Dinner

It's a bummer that Halloween is on a Sunday this year.  That means no trick-or-treating for the May household because of a thing called "keeping the Sabbath day holy."  At least that will be our interpretation of it.  We will still pass out treats to kids that come knocking on our door.  We may even make it really fun and blast some spooky music through an open front window.  Oh, I know, we could blare some Motab music through the window to make it truly a Sabbath Day occasion.  Ha, that would be hilarious. I crack myself up.

But anyway, my kids have been asking me if we are going to do anything "fun" on Halloween.  I guess for some reason they don't want the usual Family Home Evening lesson of repentance or forgiveness or not borrowing their sister's things.  So I decided to plan something fun for dinner.  I don't usually do this because we are usually crunched for time on Halloween between the kids getting home from school, getting costumes on, eating dinner and getting to our destination for loading up on sugary treats.  But Sunday is different, we don't have the usual planned.  I'm beginning to think that this "bummer" Halloween is going to feel kind of special this year.


This is what I came up with.

For an appetizer:

Mr. Veggie Bones
For the Main Dish:

Mummy Dogs


One roll of biscuit dough will cover one 8-pack of hotdogs.
Mustard for the eyes.



For 
Dessert

Boo Jell-O Cups



3/4 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Orange Flavor Gelatin
2 cups ice cubes
2/3 cup thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided
8 miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

ADD boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add ice; stir 3 to 5 min. or until gelatin is thickened. Remove any unmelted ice. Whisk in 1/3 cup COOL WHIP until well blended. Pour into 4 dessert dishes. REFRIGERATE 30 min. or until firm. DROP remaining COOL WHIP by spoonfuls onto desserts to resemble ghosts. Add chocolate chips for the eyes.

10 comments:

Tonya said...

Love it! We're not letting our kids trick or treat this year either. But we have a fun dinner planned too. And they will dress up and hand out candy. Like the Motab idea. You are a crack up!!!

Aundrea said...

You crack me up too! We're not sure how we're going to interpret it...probably the same as you:)

Bridget said...

Wow! You are so cool. My kids won't be trick or treating either but they don't have any fun meal to look forward to like that. Every year I think I'll be so creative like that and every year I'm not. :) That looks so fun!

nanna said...

What a creative compromise! You are great!
Today is Fast Sunday at our ward because we have stake conference next week..so not only would we be not trick or treating...but "starving" our families as well...lol! So tell my granddaughter's to be grateful they don't live in Nana's house!
Happy Halloween!

Melissa said...

That's awesome! Hope you have a great Halloween!

Melissa said...

That's awesome! Hope you have a great Halloween!

paula said...

ah your so amazing

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Amazing! That is so cool. Your family does the neatest things ever!

Stephanie said...

I did this exact dinner tonight and it was a HIT! Thanks for taking the time to blog about it so I could steal all your fun ideas. Check out my blog, I posted pictures of it all. :) Happy Halloween

brenda said...

Fun! We tried to lay low, just left candy on the porch. But Sam was drawn out into the streets, hiding in bushes and scaring trick-or-treaters. Everyone else hunkered down for some Harry Potter. I thought I was being cute with deviled eggs. But now I realize there is a lot more out there!