Friday, October 22, 2010

Tom Kah Gai

I love Tom Kah Gai.  I remember the first time I had this soup. My dad had just returned from his first trip to Thailand and had taken us to a Thai restaurant.  He ordered all the food and we watched in anticipation as heaping bowls of steamed rice, succulent cooked meats and crisp vegetables were placed in the middle of the table.  But first, there was the Tom Kah Gai.  It came in a large metal bowl with a burner underneath it to keep it warm. There were mushrooms floating in it. That's all I recognized.  The rest was a mystery. But when I took that first bite, I WAS IN LOVE.  The creaminess mixed with sweet and sour was a melody to my tongue. I want to eat some right now just thinking about it.  

What turned into a one-time trip turned into a yearly affair for him.  Thailand is as much a part of his life as the U.S. is. He ended up meeting a nice Thai lady where he lives in Washington and they have since married.  Having Ladda as a part of our family has been wonderful. She is loving, giving, down to earth and she knows how to COOK. So one of the first things I did when I met her was ask her to teach me how to make my favorite soup.  
First you will need a couple of stalks of lemongrass, some Thai basil and some Galangal root. Check to see if you have a Thai or Vietnamese market near you.  You will find great prices and the ingredients you want.  


Peel the outer layer of the lemongrass off and then cut the lemongrass into 1 inch pieces. Peel your galangal root and cut into thin pieces. Get a large pan and over a medium high heat put your 3 cans of coconut milk and 2 cans of water in.  Add your Tom Yum Paste.  

Here is what a heaping spoonful should look like more or less.  We were all laughing hysterically because it really looks like something else, huh? 


Whisk the tom yum paste and the coconut milk together until well combined. Now add your lemongrass, galangal root and your chicken. Don't freak out that the chicken is raw. It's just the way you do it.   Simmer it until chicken is done.  While the chicken is cooking cut up some mushrooms and onion.  



When the chicken is done, add them to the pot.



Cook for a few more minutes then add your Thai Basil. It's done. Wasn't that easy? 



I like eating my Tom Kah Gai with rice, Jasmine rice is my preference and the one that all Thai people eat.  So get yourself a bowl and put a heaping spoonful of steamed rice in the bottom of it.


Then ladle your soup over the top. 


Yum.




Tom Kah Gai
(Coconut Lemongrass Soup)

3 cans coconut milk
water
2 cups chopped uncooked chicken
2 stalk of lemon grass
1 3-inch piece of galangal root
Thai Basil (has purple stem)
2 heaping spoonfuls of Tom Yum Paste
2 cups sliced mushrooms

 1 small onion or half large


Pull the fiberous part off the outside of the lemongrass stalk then cut the stalk into 1 inch lengths.  Peel your galangal root and and slice into thin pieces.  Pull about 10 basil leaves off and set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium high heat add your coconut milk and Tom Yum Paste.  Whisk to combine.  Then use two of the cans and fill them with water and add to the pot.  Next, put your lemongrass, Galangal Root and Chicken and simmer until chicken is done.  When chicken is done add your sliced mushrooms and onion and cook for about four or five minutes.  Add your Thai basil at the very end and serve.  Very good served over steamed Jasmine Rice as well.

3 comments:

Chris said...

You know more than anyone that I'm not a huge soup guy, but this was amazing! I could eat it every day. I'm so glad you learned how to make it.

I think that the funniest part of this is how Ladda kept telling you not to use a recipe because she never uses them. Your response was that the recipe in question was an exact record of how she made it when you watched her last time!

Merilee said...

I love you! I love You! I love you for posting this recipe!

paula said...

Ahh..... thanks I love this soup it just makes you feel good!!