Sunday, May 9, 2010

To My Mom

Dear Mom,

You are an amazing individual. Krista and I joke about how we got the mom with the white skin when all of our aunts, uncles and cousins have this gorgeous olive skin. I think Heavenly Father wanted to set you apart from the rest, make you different. From a young age you were different. Your siblings had to be "careful with Marilyn" because of your heart condition. As an adult you were never cynical when life handed you lemons. And life did and it has. I never appreciated this until I was an adult. Things go wrong in my life and I tend to complain about it, that is until I remember the lessons you unknowingly taught to me. You don't complain, you bear your burdens with grace. I know it's been lonely the past six months without Ben. It's been lonely but I believe Rich as well. You are experiencing a new chapter in your life, and you are having a fun time with your grandchildren, daughters and friends. We love spending more time with you. We wish you could spend even more. Spending the month of April with you was incredible and I cried when you left.

Now as an adult I realize all the sacrifices you made for Krista and I. You didn't work when we were young but started working as our activities increased. I never made that correlation until years later. Or maybe I did but just didn't appreciate it. You sacrificed your health and time so that Krista and I could go to camps, participate in cheerleading and have class rings. I mention this last one because you were so excited to buy me one. I remember you telling me how your parents couldn't afford to buy you one when you wanted one. So you made sure that I had one. Although I don't wear that ring anymore, I love it and it is special to me because it is a symbol of the sacrifices that you made for me. Another sacrifice you made for me is control of your kitchen. When I was young you let me have creative control in the kitchen, encouraging me to make whatever recipe I found and was excited about. A lot of good things came out of that kitchen but most important of those things was time spent with you.

I am blessed to have you for a mother. I hope that I am as good a mom to my girls that you are to Krista and I.

I love you,

Darilyn

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thank you for the kind words. It was a great Mothers day.
Happy Mothers day to you for the great granddaughters you gave me
I Love you
Mom.

Gusti said...

Oh the tears you bring to my eyes. Love this post.

Quinn said...

Goodness, I am a bawl baby. 2 such posts in a row and I'm ready to go put my head on my pillow. Beautiful words from and about beautiful people. Thank you Darilyn, for having said it all so well.

Tonya said...

That was VERY sweet to read!