I can feel it coming. That urgent sense to do some organization. I look around my house and the thought that is increasingly on my mind is, "why?"
Why is my home so messy?
Why is there so much unorganization?
Why didn't I do a better job of teaching my children when they were younger to clean their rooms?
Why do I not want to do anything about it?
I actually would love for it to be organized. But when I look around I just feel like giving in to not doing anything about it. I've been asking myself these questions for years and I've learned a few things. I've learned...
You need to teach your children from a very young age to put their things away.
The bad habits of your older children will eventually ruin any good habits that your younger children may have had.
You can't expect your children or spouse to do something you are not (although I do this one pretty much every day)
To not be jealous of your friends' home that are always nice and tidy.
To embrace the things you do well.
I added that last one so that you can all see that I am really not too terribly hard on myself. I know I have my talents, people.
A few days ago Emma finally allowed me to put one of her dolls in the get rid of pile. Hallelujah! That is a giant step for her. And it got me thinking. Maybe we could do a complete overhaul of their room. It needs it, there are toys and things in there that they never use but do not want to get rid of....until now? I'm hoping. I would like to see if we can put all three girls in there and make a spare bedroom. You think I'm joking don't you? I'm not. There is plenty of room in there for all three of them and I would like to try.
So I will let you know how the organization attempt goes. Perhaps I will take before and after pictures. We'll see how much I want to show you my untidy world.
3 comments:
I feel your pain! I am actually a little obsessed with organizing, but no matter what I do my kids rooms still look like doo-doo. I think it's just because they are kids...but I do think it's wise to keep on them for sure. I have my kids play 20's almost every day. It means that they need to find 20 things in their room to clean, organize or throw away. I usually help my younger two. It helps a lot and for some reason the number 20 doesn't seem so overwhelming. Just a thought:)
I hope you'll share everything you learn. I'm right there with you on the not expect them to do what you are not doing. I do that WAY too much. I really need to over-haul my whole house. And i have a little. So now I have a big box full of junk to deal with. :) Good luck!
Having just moved, I am still trying to get the rooms organized and things sorted - what a project! I wish you the best of luck and also had to smile at the thought of all three girls in one room. Been there, done that. Do you remember the trundle I slept on as a senior with Reni on the second bed and Emily on the third? And Gusti put Kali and Kira in one room last year so she would have an office. This year she is building on to her house before Kali and Kira tear each other apart. That didn't work out AT ALL, not to say it wouldn't for your girls. It worked for me with Em and Ren.
Post a Comment