Sunday, February 3, 2008

For Book Club this month we decided to have a retreat at the beach. I had such a great time and we actually DID talk about the book. We read Catcher in the Rye and had an interesting discussion about it. Most people liked it and a couple did not. As promised we laughed until we cried. The quote of the weekend was "There is a family that stays there all year long." -- by Rochelle. At first we thought she was talking about people but when we realized she was talking about whales there was more than one of us that bust a gut laughing. As I'm writing this I'm smiling because I think it was more funny at 3am. Merilee made us all breakfast burritos for breakfast which was nice after so much candy that we ate all night long. But after breakfast some of us walked to the beach and it was no surprise when Jen whipped a couple boxes of candy out of her coat pocket. Go Jen! We are just all glad we didn't have to find the nearest hospital for her since she is going to have a baby soon.

We stayed up late talking and had some really serious discussions. What I walked away from those discussions with is that it is so important for me to be in tune with the spirit. I cannot overlook this one bit. It is up to me to be diligent with maintaining a relationship with the Holy Ghost so that I will be able to protect my children from the dangers of this world. We don't know what lies ahead for our children. People are always surprised when they find out that nice, respectable "Uncle John" was molesting their son. It may be that the only warnings we have of such things is through the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. I have this list in my mind of things to talk about with my girls and for that, I'm grateful for my weekend.

On the lighter side, I loved spending every moment with these women. I am so blessed to be surrounded by good people.

13 comments:

Aundrea said...

I feel exactly the same as you...blessed to have such great women in my life to learn and grow and have fun with:) Thanks again!!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

What a fun retreat! And it's nice to come away with more than just a sugar high. :-)

Rochelle said...

I had a blast! Deep thoughts and all! I learned a lot and gained a greater love for each one of these women. Thanks to all of you and to you Darilyn for the idea!

Becky said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Ive never read CitR- its one of those that has been on my to read list since High school, but I have never gotten around to reading it.

kelly said...

what a great idea! and how fun! all the book clubs i've ever gone to are totally BORING. it sounds like you are surrounded by some wonderful people!

Merilee said...

This was such a fabulous retreat. Thanks so much for actually making it happen. You'll plan it next year too right?

Amanda D said...

It looks like so much fun! Isn't it amazing how good for you a girls weekend is?

mahina said...

that's one serious book club!! how fun! sign me up!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! That's amazing I'm glad you had so much fun and so much meaningful conversation!

Memory said...

What fun! I must find myself a retreat-taking club to join!! Ha!

Chelle said...

Again I am torn, I am so glad you had such a great time, but seeing the pictures it makes me all the more sad to have missed it. I miss all you book club girls! I miss book club that goes no less than 5 hours.

Jodi said...

Love the pictures! Looks like such a great time. I am very sad that I missed out.

brenda said...

That makes my book club seem pretty bland. You go, girls!

Great slide show. Your pictures really show the mood. LOVE the one of Jen.