Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I am thankful today....

I am thankful today for my health, the health of my girls and my husband. A woman came into my work today looking for a bra. "No problem, I can help you with that", I said. She then tells me that a week ago she was a DDD. Now she doesn't know what she is but she thinks a C. I'm a little confused at first until she tells me she just had a double mastectomy because of breast cancer. She couldn't have anything with wires, not yet, she is supposed to wait awhile. But she wanted something that would make her bigger, a bra with padding. I took the best non-wire bra we had and then pulled the air pillows out of our plunge bra. I had her try the bra on with the air pillows inside the cup. She came out of the dressing room with a smile on her face! It worked. As I was talking to her at the register she was describing how emotional it has been for her. The surgery and the cancer. She began to cry and I was able to see just a glimmer of her pain. It was so sad and yet so incredibly amazing to see this woman who is fighting for her life. She ended up leaving the store and I was left feeling so grateful for my health and that of my family.

That's what I'm grateful for today. And also a job that allows me to do positive things for other women. I absolutely love it.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, what a powerful reminder! Thanks for sharing that!

Sarah said...

It's always nice to have those situations to make us more aware of the blessings we have.

Jodi said...

I am glad you shared that story...it made me think. We do have so much to be thankful for.

Merilee said...

I am so grateful for my health as well. That is such a touching story. You are always so thoughtful and giving. I'm glad I have you as a friend.

Becca said...

We sure do take our health for granted sometimes, huh? We don't often think of it as a blessing. I too, am grateful for my health.

mahina said...

wow! thanks for sharing that story! it is amazing how fragile life is, even though we don't view it as such! we just never know, do we?

ducklips said...

Thanks for sharing that story. Often we forget how blessed we actually are until we meet someone who has trials that sound too hard to endure.

I am so thankful for my health and the health of my family as well.

Elizabeth Dimit said...

I really appreciate you sharing that story. What an amazing woman! Here's to good health for her and all of us!

Bridget said...

If I were her, you would be just the saleswoman I would want to help me....and cry to. You are awesome. I'm sure as you listened she could tell what a sensitive heart you have.

Scrapbooks by Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing this. I know that I take my health for granted a lot, so this is a good reminder to remember to thank the Lord for my health.