Thursday, September 13, 2007

Potato Corn Soup


When I woke up this morning and saw the weather outside I quietly rejoiced. It meant I could make soup for dinner. We don't have A/C in our house so the thought of soup the past couple of days when it's been warm has not been enticing. Yesterday I had the yummiest soup at a little cafe across from the Smith Berry Barn. It was one of those soups that was fairly simple, not too many ingredients and just tasted so good. I did my best to recreate it today. Here it is:

1 32 oz. container organic chicken broth
1 14 oz can less sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup chopped bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. flour
corn from 3-4 ears of corn
4 potatoes peeled and diced small
a sprinkle of sage, marjoram pepper and garlic (dried)

In a large pot over medium high heat cook your bacon. After a few minutes add your onion and stir scraping the bottom. When the onion starts to carmelize add the flour and stir it into the grease from the bacon. Let it bubble for about a minute then add your chicken broth and scrape the bits of the bacon from the bottom while stirring. Turn your heat to medium low and when your broth becomes a bit bubbly add your cut up potatoes and corn. Put a lid on it and turn down to low. Go watch Oprah and during commercials go back and stir and check on it. The Potatoes should cook pretty quickly. After about halfway through Oprah you can add your spices to your taste. Turn off the heat and keep the lid on it. Only do this if your potatoes are cooked but they should be. Serve with sourdough bread.

Note: Everyone liked this except for Heidi who declared "I don't like corn" Hmmmm... you did two days ago.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh that looks so good!! I am definitely going to make that. My kids pull those things on me all the time too. Like how did your tastes change in the last 48 hrs!?

Jodi said...

You always have the best recipes on your blog...and delicious pictures that make me 'oh so hungry' late at night. I'm cursing you right now ;)

mahina said...

looks delicious! that is one good thing about cold days, warm soup!

question...can i still make it if i don't have a tv and can't watch oprah while it is cooking???

ducklips said...

When are you going to publish you cook book. I am always drooling after you put up your recipes.