Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Number 5
On my list of 50 things is going through the Nauvoo temple of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This past week that dream came true. On a trip with my mom to see her brothers we took a detour to Nauvoo, Illinois. I had never been here before.
Nauvoo is a historic living history town where you can see live demonstrations from a blacksmith or learn how they made shoes during that time. You can take a horse drawn wagon ride while learning about the history of the early members of our church from full time service missionaries. And on top of a rising slope of green grass sits the Nauvoo temple.
The temple was built by the early members and was finished in 1846. Sadly, the Saints were forced to leave their beautiful city in an exodus that would take them all the way to the Salt Lake valley. The temple was barely used and was soon after destroyed and burned by those that hated the Mormons.
In 2002 it was rebuilt and rededicated as a House of the Lord. Going inside this temple was an experience I will not forget. Being with my mom in such a beautiful and sacred place gives me perspective on how the members of the church felt about their beloved temple. They sacrificed so much for the building of it. The rebuilding of it is in a sense a memorial to their memory and a statement that the work of the Lord continues yet today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm so glad you got to go! Did you see the Patty Sessions cabin and Lyon's General Store?
Love the pictures! Glad you crossed another thing off your list. Awesome!
That is such a cute photo of mom!!!
Have to agree with Krista- what a great pic of your mom. I've been there several times through the years, but never got to go inside yet. I love the history that you can learn about there, I am thankful for the strength of the early Saints and for how important the saving ordinances of the temple were to them.
Post a Comment