Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Rhubarb is one of those things that come spring, I dream of using. I have probably four or five recipes in my to-do collection of whom Rhubarb, is the star.  
Yet I have never made a single thing with Ms. Rhubarb....until today.

The other day Elissa posted on her blog, 17 and Baking a new recipe, one for  
Those pictures, oh, those pictures. 
I had to have some.

So I made it today.



Let's just say, I like Ms. Rhubarb, she is a mighty fine gal!

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
(taken from 17 and Baking)
An I- Family Original
Makes a 9×9″ pan
Crisp Topping
1 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 cup flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup oatmeal

Fruit Filling
6 stalks rhubarb
1 1/2 pints of strawberries
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and almonds. Mix the softened, room temperature butter into the flour mixture with a fork or with your fingers until crumbly.
Peel off outer skin of rhubarb and cut off the ends. Cut stalks in one-inch pieces, enough to make three cupfuls. Hull the berries, cut in half. Toss fruit together with the sugar and flour until evenly coated. Place the fruit in a 9×9″ baking dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly, brown and crisp.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gahhh... that looks so good. I gotta try it.

Amanda D said...

It looks good! I don't think I've ever had rhubarb. Maybe I'll try it one of these days!