Monday, September 20, 2010

#17 Go to the Pendleton Round Up



I had wanted to do this post much sooner.  As soon as I got home in fact.  But as soon as I got home I felt like doing nothing because I was sick.  I am still sick.  It's just a head cold and I will be back to normal soon enough but this weekend I've pretty much been curled up reading a book and watching Gilmore Girls with  bouts of blowing my nose and drinking lots of O.J. 

So although I am now in the coughing stage of the cold (the worst part for me, ugh) I do feel like I can sit at the computer and think clearly about this post.

Many of you guessed correctly.  I did, in fact, go to The Pendleton Round-Up.  When my sister and I noticed that it was the Centennial anniversary of the Round-up we decided that this had to be the year.  And it was so incredible.

The reason this was on my list of 50 Things is that I do love a good rodeo.  And if you love Rodeo, then you should go to the Pendleton Round Up.  I have to confess that I really did not know what to expect.  It seemed that everything I read about it was, "it's so great, everyone should go" and "it's the best of the best"  but no real details about all of it.  I mean WHY is it the best of the best?  But since it's supposed to be the best of the best rodeos around it made my List.  And I was not disappointed.

The cowboys were some of the best in the world and the animals were some of the best in the world as well.  So you put those two things together and it made for a heck of a viewing experience.  Another thing that is different from any other rodeo I've been to is the the connection with the Native American tribes.  Indians from all over were there representing their tribe, competing in the round-up and selling their wares.  There was an entire teepee village where they were staying.  It was fantastic. 

And a special memento of my trip will be mailed to Amanda for being the first one to guess correctly.  

Here are some pictures for ya'!



9 comments:

paula said...

awesome...cultural experience right here in our own back yard. What a great time.

Aundrea said...

That sounds like so much fun! I was going to guess that, because I had just seen a news story on it that morning...then one of my dang kids interupted me while I was reading the post and I forgot to comment:) Oh well, I'm so glad you guys had fun! I might have to copy you and add it to my bucket list!

I hope you feel better soon, and I'm excited to see everyone in October!

Tonya said...

I'm sorry you're feeling sick!!!

The pendelton Round Up sounds like tons of fun.

And you are a DARLING cowgirl.

Yee-Haw!!!

Krista Lou Cook said...

So much fun! Pendleton is definitly a great place to go. Well, the food might need a little work, but I am sure there are some good ones hidden there.

Amanda D said...

!!!
I am so jealous! I love a good rodeo too. So glad you got to go and had a great time.

You look so great in the cowboy hat. I love it!

Jodi said...

I am a cowgirl at heart...always will be! Growing up in the country does that to you, I think. And I love a good rodeo...I would like to take the kids to this one. Someday.
Love the pic of you and Krista! CUTE!!

Jodi said...

PS...feel better!

Melissa said...

Looks like a ton of fun! Yay! Congrats on crossing something else off!

brenda said...

I hope you're feeling better, D! Thanks for dragging yourself to the computer to make that report. I'm convinced--I'm going to have to go to a rodeo someday! Good job working through your list! You really know how to make things happen! Sorry about all the exclamation points! It's just that I'm trying to shout all this to you from my house!