Thursday, September 9, 2010

Possibilites


Why is it that I feel more dedicated around this time of year?  Is it the buying of pencils and notebooks for my children that gives me goal fever? 

I have no problem passing over the whole "New Years Resolution" phenomenon.  I mean I tried it.  I used to do it.  But that was because everyone else was doing it.  Sally had a resolution to lose weight, Daphne one to exercise more.  So I felt I should have them too.  But I never had any real success with those goals.  For me there is usually a catalyst of some sort to make me look at myself and decide with some amount of surety that I need to change.  Recently this came in the form of a pair of shorts feeling tight.  Shorts that two summers ago I could not wear because they were literally too big, they were falling off.  Then last summer they fit fine.  This summer?  Yeah, not so fine. 

And for some reason, with the start of a new school year, I am able to focus and dedicate myself to a goal of immense proportions.  Because losing weight is a goal of immense proportions for me.  For some reason the cooler weather and rain sodden leaves on the ground signal to me that it is time to start exercising and eating better.  And that's what I'm doing.  Or trying at least.  For the past three mornings I have rolled out of bed at 4:45 a.m.  Can you believe it?  It's something I've been thinking about doing for about 6 months but didn't have the resolve to do until a new school year started. And you want to know what's even more amazing?  My night-owl husband is going too.  Yep, we are going to the gym at 5 a.m.  And I like it.

Yes, I do like it.  In fact, when I leave the gym at 6:00 a.m. I have a sense of accomplishment that I have never experienced before.  More so than when I have left the gym before at around 10 or 10:30. 

And this is why:

When I leave at 6 a.m. done with my work out, which is by far the hardest thing for me to do during the day, I can see the rest of the day with possibilities.  Possibilities like "getting my work done by the time the girls get home from school."  "having lunch with a friend or my husband and not feeling guilty about time not spent on work" "cleaning the house" "projects".  I have the whole day ahead of me that I do not need to interrrupt with EXERCISE.  Becaues I'm done. 

And that makes me happy. 

Possibilities.

9 comments:

Quinn said...

You are inspiring!

Sarah said...

Wow good for you! that is soooo early! I have been wanting to be that motivated to get up so early for too long. Still hasn't happened. I want to be one of those mom's thats up, has exercised, showered and read scriptures all before the kids get up. Maybe this year I'll do it. I too am not one of those new year resolution people. I still have resolutions just not the just because it's January thing. Thanks for the inspiration to get with it and do it!

Amanda D said...

Good for you, Darilyn!

I've been working out too. It's been three days and I'm sore, but I'm going to keep it up. (Just not at 4:45am)

Melissa said...

Good for you! That is fantastic!

brenda said...

You rock, D! You're an inspiration. When I have to talk myself into going to the gym, I tell myself how great I'll feel (emotionally) after going.

Tonya said...

very inspiring!

i always feel better when i start my day off with excercise too.

i decided that i was going to walk my kids to school most days this year. that means when i get home i've already walked a mile.

three days down and many more to go!

and how great it is that you're doing it with your hubby! it's always easier to have an exercise partner.

you're awesome!

Jodi said...

I completely agree with you...getting up at 5am to work out is AWESOME! For some reason...I let the ball drop this summer but I plan to hit it hard once school starts again (Ben doesn't start until Monday :) Thanks for the inspiration to get back on the bandwagon!

And ditto on the September goals...I'm WAY better in the fall :)

Bridget said...

OH, I am so with you on this one Darilyn! I feel so great leaving the gym so early. Like I have now just opened up my day to so many other things because the exercise is DONE! Good for you! I love fall for that reason. Goal setting is easier for me now than it is Jan. 1st.

Gusti said...

Amen sista! You said it perfectly.