Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A dilemma of sorts

This is not a bad dilemma of any means. A good one it is.

I have always been that person that tries to order the healthiest thing on the menu. P.F. Changs? It's Buddha's Feast for me. I have tried very few other things. Fried foods? No way. French fries? No thanks, can I have a salad instead?

I have always felt that in my attempts to make healthier choices that I would be able to stave off those 5, 10, 15 pounds that would come if I somehow ate otherwise.

But that has never been the case. I have been that person that makes healthy choices, occasionally indulging in 4 krispy kreme donuts at a time (who's kidding? Make that 6) but for the most part I try to eat healthy. Years of religiously following the Weight Watchers program has trained my mind to mentally check of waters, milks, veggies and fruit. Have I had them all for the day?

This summer I decided to heck with it. I was tired of not eating the sweet and sour chicken because it had been fried. I was tired of smelling the fried potato smell of my daughter's Wendy's fries while I chomped on my wilty lettuce salad. And tots from Sonic? That was a once a year treat for me, never to be indulged upon.

Screw it. Screw it all. I threw my morals out the window and decided that I was done, at least for awhile.

My culinary journey this summer has been a heaven. I have tasted and swallowed several varieties of potato chips. I have savored orange fired shrimp from P.F. Changs, I have licked a double scooper of bubble gum ice cream and savored every moment. Cream in my Ironport? Yes, please. I have requested a bagel with cream cheese to be delivered to me for breakfast from my children.

"What? No Oatmeal?" They have replied.

"Nope, not today," I say with a smile.

I have cooked with butter. Have you ever grilled salmon fillets in butter in a cast iron pan? Oh. My. Heck. They are to die for. I have made delicious morsels of dessert and not substituted applesauce.

And are you ready for the results?

I have not gained a pound. No sirree. In fact, and are you sitting down? All the butter, fried food, sugar, carbs i've eaten has resulted in a loss of weight. How can this be?

That is my dilemma.

And no, i have not been more active this summer. If anything it's way harder for me to get to the gym with my kids at home.

But I have noticed that since I allowed my conscious healthy eating mind to take a break I have been eating less. I have stopped thinking about food all the time. I eat when I'm hungry and not because I'm trying to fill a quota.

Do you have any experience with this? What are your thoughts? I want to hear from you.

6 comments:

Aundrea said...

I have the same experience...when I'm really trying to be "good" the pounds just want to stick around, but as soon as I relax a little they seem to come off more easily...who knows why? Anyway, who's complaining right? :)

megan said...

its the focus. When you are focused so much on what you should and should not do aka eating healthy. You still have bad foods, you just have a lot of them at a time and then feel really guilty about it. When you allow yourself to indulge (every once in a while at least) you find that really it is just the first few bites that are the most gratifying and you don't need a ton of whatever it is

Amanda D said...

My mom and I have both done WW, and my skinny sister hasn't. She stays thin despite using original sour cream, butter, etc. We've always wondered why that is. It's frustrating!

I know that she sits all day at work so when she gets home she doesn't want to sit. She walks and moves all evening.

If you find any secrets, let me know!

Krista Lou Cook said...

I think you aswered most of your questions yourself. You don't obsess about eatin ghealthy so you son;t obsess about food, eating less. The test would be to see if your muscle mass is the same, along with cholosterol.

Sarah said...

That would be nice. I agree with Krista, I think it's a good thing to not obsess. However I can hardly give that advice. I struggle with that one. Muscle loss could be an issue but if you ask me, I think you're on to something!!

Melissa-Mc said...

Oh, Darilyn, I could write volumes on this subject. I've gained 50 lbs in the past 6 months without making in real changes in my life. Who does that?