The Pump House
What is "The Pump House" you ask?
Well, let's go inside and see.
Ain't it purty? Let's get a better look.
My mom is amazing. She did all this. And you are only seeing one wall. here is the other wall.
I always go in here and fill a box with a few essentials like the dill pickles you see above. They are an ESSENTIAL. This last time I was there I took a bunch of jam. Plum, red currant, apricot, peach and of course, Blackberry.
I guess the reason my parents call it "The Pump House" is because this is in there:
The water pump
As my sister and I grew up and left home we came to realize that not everyone had The Pump House. We also realized that not everyone called Merchuracrome "Monkey Blood". Isn't it funny the words and things that seem so commonplace in our lives but are actually something unique to our families?
What word or thing is unique to your family?
14 comments:
I don't know if my family has a word that is common to only us. If we do I'm sure you have heard Merilee say it.
The Pump house is incredible. That is one of my new goals to have something like that!
I was an adult before I realized that Fisher Price Little People weren't REALLY called "pop pops." :)
Wow. That is seriously amazing. I am so impressed.
That pump house is amazing. How great.
Like Megan, I can't think of any words that we use. I'm sure there is something though!
Our family word is "Barnasium". It seems so commonplace among my family (even our girls now). I'm sure nobody else would immediately envision a gymnasium inside the shell of a barn, though. I should post something about it on my blog, since I'm sure this is a unique feature. Then there's always "toberry". LOL
barnasium :)
that is an awesome "house"! i hope to have one someday to store our food storage!
"tutu": grandparents
"okole": bum or bottom
Ahhhhh Monkey Blood! Is there any other name for the pump house?
darilyn, your Mom puts up some great canning...reminds me a lot of what my Mom would do each year. I would love to have a place to store canning like that...so cool!
That is truly a work of art! I'd call it the Museum of Food Storage
Made me misty eyed thinking of "the root cellar" of my childhood. Looked just like that, maybe even a little more musty because it was literlly underground in the side of the mountain. There were also bins under the shelves full of the summer's potatoes and carrots and fall's apples. Next to the bins was a great big (as big as a little kid big) round ceramic pot full of sauerkraut. My didn't realize she was raising me German from the start I think. LOL As for weird words... my mom had odd nicknames for us kids: I was Mingerrookie and well, I'll let Gusti tell you what her's was if she wants. At anycase, I want a pump house/root cellar too. Maybe someday.
We have lots of family 'saying' that have gotten me into some embarrassing moments before I realized they were unique to my family only. For example..."2 butt kitchen". I'll have to tell you about it sometime...makes me laugh every time.
The Pump House is AWESOME. I would love to have something similar someday.
Wow! That is an amazing collection of canned goods! Looks a lot like Mom Gold's storage room. Tons of anything and everything down there! I'm glad you were able to snag a few goods before you left:0)
I am so impressed! I was just showing Lane that! I want that pump house! I want to learn how to can! It looks great and what great provident living!
Post a Comment