
I receive emails from a couple different airlines. Today I recieved one that said this, "United Introduces Door-to-Door Baggage." That got my attention. I wanted to know more so I opened the email and started to read about this new program that United Airlines has. Apparently I can purchase this service on United.com and then Fed Ex will either come pick up my bags or I can take it to my local Fed Ex center. It entices me further when it says:
United is the first airline to save you time and money with this simple and convenient service.
- Next-day delivery of your baggage
- Convenient online tracking
- Available in the 48 contiguous U.S.

| Starting at 149.00 USD |
| per bag |
I'm wondering, how does spending $149 to get my suitcase to its destination save me money?
8 comments:
That is truly perplexing. Maybe they're about to release information on a new per-bag charge for luggage put on the plane that makes this seem like a good deal. :-)
Hmmm. Doesn't sound like such a hot deal! That's almost enough to buy a ticket on some other airlines:) I guess I'll be sticking to Southwest.
Wow! I think I'll take 10 bags on my next trip. I mean, ya know, what else do I have to spend my money on? My kids don't need to go to college...or eat for that matter.
no kidding! That is insane. And really I would rather wait for my bag so I can have it on the same day. Do they really think they will get many takers in this hurting economy?
what a way to save money!
Wow. I thought this must be a hoax when I first read it, but indeed there it is on United's Web site.
This is really ridiculous when you crunch the numbers. After Nov. 10, it would cost $130 in extra fees to check two bags on United ($30 round-trip for the first bag, and $100 round-trip for the second bag).
To use this service, it costs $149 per bag, one way! That means those same two checked bags would cost $716!!
Emily and I just booked tickets on Southwest Airlines to Austin, Texas, in December, and the total for both of us was $436. Thankfully, Southwest has no fee for checked luggage, nor do they charge for anything else (U.S. Airways -- which we flew to Jamaica on our honeymoon and to Austin last year -- has a new policy where they charge for all beverages, even water!!).
It looks like this is basically a business deal with FedEx that is being touted as a part of United's "commitment to customer service." Really, it's a commission-based service with FedEx, since United never touches your bag (you either have to drop them off at a FedEx location, or schedule a pick up).
I honestly don't know who would use this. If you're gonna spend that much extra money to get your bags there faster, why not just fly first class, as extra luggage fees are usually waived for those passengers anyway?
File this one under "crazy and absurd!! :)
the things airlines are doing these days just boggles my mind. like you can only check one bag and they charge you for a second, I can't imagine that it is really worth that amount of money to have your bag shipped than just waiting for it at baggage claim.
Ha, ha, ha, ha! That is so hilarious! I wonder who their target market is for this lovely service.
Post a Comment