Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer


Oh what do you do in the sumertime, when all the world is green?
Do you fish in the stream, or lazily dream on the banks as the clouds go by?
Is that what you do? So do I!

Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green?
Do you swim in a pool, to keep yourself cool, or swing in a tree up high?
Is that what you do? So do I!

Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green?
Do you march in parades, or drink lemonades, or count all the stars in the sky?
Is that what you do? So do I!

I love this song. It reminds me of fun summer days when I was a kid and it reminds me of how summer should be for my own children. It's a gentle reminder to me that when my girls are clamoring for a lemonade stand to share in their excitement and help them with it instead of thinking of the mess of lemonade powder on the kitchen floor and the work of setting everything up. My musings lately have been about how I will handle this summer with working and spending time with my children. I still have to work but I need to balance it so that I have time with them. Unfortunately if I work in the evening that means no time with Chris. It will work out though. When Makenzie and Emma were really small I planned a simple activity for every day of the summer. They were on folded up pieces of paper and put in little pockets on a calendar. They loved looking in that day's pocket to see what we would be doing. I recently saw an example of this on another blog and it brought a smile to my face.

This summer we will be picking berries, rafting the rogue river, camping, hiking, painting and spending time with cousins. As my girls are getting older they are away from me more in the summer. It makes me a little sad. I'm glad they get so excited about their adventures though. I know I loved going away to camp and I can see the same excitement in them. On Friday, the last day of school, Emma left on a 2 week road trip with her nanna and grandpa (chris' parents). She is going to Wisconsin and I already miss her. Our house is so quiet without the Irish dance music playing.

So what will you be doing this summer? Any great tips for making the summer fun for your kids? I want to hear about it.

Here is to a great summer (raising my glass of icy lemonade). I can't wait to read all about what you all are doing.



13 comments:

megan said...

It is not green in Arizona in the summertime and it is too hot to be outside. I even prefer swimming at night so it is not too hot. My goal is to eventually be making enough money so that I can summer (the whole summer) in Oregon

Amanda D said...

I love the idea of doing something fun each day, and making a little calendar. It seems like a lot of work though!

I have a plan to go to the library once a week, see the free movies each week, go to parks, and hiking. I hope to get away a couple of times camping and to the coast. And most of all, enjoy the warm summer and laughter with new friends.

Aundrea said...

That is such a good idea! That way the kids will know what we are doing each day and won't bug me with questions all day long:)

We are headed to Jackson, WY and the girls get to go to Hannah Montana at the Stadium of Fire on the 4th, visiting with family and hoping the weather will warm up enough to enjoy our boat a little bit!

Melissa-Mc said...

I LOVE summer! This summer will be consumed by swim team, track and gymnastics.

We will go to Seattle and New Orleans in August. I'm trying to swing a pass-through trip to Oregon as well :)

Mandy said...

I love summer it is my favorite season!! I spend as much time as possible outside, at the pool, or playing at parks. It's easy to keep Mikaila entertained. Oh yeah, we will be spending 17 days in Utah in August with family

Cheers!!!

Darilyn said...

I love reading about all of your plans.

Megan- you're right, I obviously wasn't thinking of AZ when I put that song on there.

Bridget said...

park, pool, library, free movies, zoo, children's museum, berry picking, pump it up, trips to Idaho, LOTS of playdates, and did I say pool? I want to swim a lot. I am excited. I think the calendar idea is very cute. My boys would take them all out on day one though. Would never work. I need some good tips on where to go for easy hikes with my kids. I actually thought of you first to ask. You know everything after all.

Gusti said...

Hey Darilyn-
I've stalked your blog a few times since Krista found me on myspace. Tonight I read your 50 things and the roadmap to you- very cool! They have been added to my someday file. You know the kind of things you really want to do but have no idea when/how to find the time. Funny tidbit... the creator of Sugardoodle (melanie day) was my neighbor for many years and is still one of my dearest friends. Also I have finally joined the ranks of all you bloggers out there. www.darlingimages.blogspot.com if you want to take a peek. Good catching up on you.

Sarah said...

Lane has two weeks off starting next week. He will be getting surgery on the 24th, so we'll be taking it very easy. Then he's starts his 4th and last year of dental school. Yipee!!! We applying to ortho, so that won't be the end of the school road, but I can't wait to be done with dental school.

We plan on going camping a couple of times this summer. It's funny you mentioned the lemonade stand. I've been thinking about doing it with the boys for the past couple of weeks. Mostly I just plan on taking the boys to the park as much as the weather will allow and trying to have a fun relaxing summer. Lane will have a 4 week break at the end of August and beginning of Sept. So I"m looking forward to that.

Rachel Bancroft said...

I have been wondering how in the world I am going to keep Emma and Gabe busy and happy this summer, so I was so happy to see your suggestion for the simple daily activities. I'm going to try it. Today Emma and I made a list of things we want to do this summer and she loved bringing up her own ideas.

Also, we plan on spending lots of time at friends' houses that have AC. =)

Tonya said...

You have great summer ideas to stay busy! We are going to free movies, picnic in the park, swimming lessons, camping, hiking, road trip to Utah, library, and we just put up a pool in our back yard. Oh, and of course a lemonade stand! I LOVE SUMMER!

Kathy VonTrapp said...

Our ward here does Picnics in the Park every Wednesday! We go to a different park each week and everyone brings their own lunch...it is so fun! We also love swimming lessons and usually do two sessions back to back. Both of my boys leave tomorrow for Scout Camp....1 week long... and they are so excited! Our house will be so quiet with them gone though. Madison might be happy as she won't have her two brothers around teasing her :-).

Michelle Clausen said...

I love that song! Here's to summer Darilyn!