Sunday, June 29, 2008

5 days of fun

I started to write about my week at girls camp and decided that what I was writing did not do it justice. It didn't convey any of my feelings about it. Last fall when there was a new camp presidency sustained I knew that it was time to state my case as to why I would be a great addition to send to camp. I left church that day that we sustained the new directorship with the intent to call my good friend Marie later that evening. As I was getting into my car who pulls up beside me? Marie. I yell at Chris to wait for me and jump back out of the car and wait anxiously for Marie to get out her van. "Marie, we sustained you today as the new camp director and you know how badly I want to go to camp." This comes out in a rush of words and she just stares at me.
"Yes, I do remember talking to you about that. Let me call you tomorrow and we can talk about it."

Marie did call me the very next day and we talk about what areas I would be best at helping with. Then I didn't hear anything for months and months. I was thinking that there must not have been a spot for me and then, finally in March I get a phone call from a member of the High Council asking if I would serve as the 3 rd year Certification Specialist. I think I answered "yes" before he could finish his question! I hung up the phone, put my head down and cried. I've been waiting 15 years to be asked to go to girls camp. Finally, last year I figured out the problem. I was waiting to be asked. I was thinking it was a perfect world and that Heavenly Father knew how much I had to offer and that with the inspiration of our local leaders they would surely ask me to go. One problem though: Literally every sister in our stake is amazing. But when Marie was sustained I thought what do I have to lose? I'm gonna ask. And here I am fresh home from a glorious week spent with my daughter, girls and women from my ward and other amazing people from our stake.

There is so much I could talk about but mostly I just want to express what Girls Camp did for me. It helped me feel a part of a Stake that I really haven't felt unified with. We've lived here for 8 years now and it's crazy that I don't know more people in the stake. I feel like it's been a very slow process. I was also able to get to know women in my ward that I have very little social interaction with.

Why do I love Girls Camp? I loved it as a youth and I loved it as a leader when I was in college in my pre-married days. I love the way that young girls see their potential as a daughter of God. They are able to catch a glimpse of what eternity will feel like as they embrace one another and share their testimonies. Much of my testimony of the Savior was gained at Girls Camp. Hopefully it's a safe place where girls can be themselves and be accepted by their peers. I see girls having fun while respecting their values. I love the certification program of camp and the look of accomplishment when they do something they didn't think they would be able to do. I love singing! And I love laughing. This is why I love girls camp.
Hopefully I will be asked back again next year. Not serving in Young Women's does not give me that certainty but I'm optimistic that I have many years of Girls Camp ahead of me.
I'm grateful to be part of a church that has a program like this. I'm grateful that my Heavenly Father helped me have the courage just to 'ask'.

19 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad you got to go too, Darilyn! Camp is so wonderful! I was so glad to meet you after hearing so much about you.

Sarah said...

I"m so happy for you that you got to go Darilyn! It sounds like you had such an amazing time! Since I am a convert, that is one of the things I missed out on. So I like hearing about it!

Melissa said...

Glad you got to go & that it went so well for you!

Bridget said...

So glad you got to go! Lucky you! Someday I want to go too but I realize I am not at that point in my life yet. Sounds like an amazing time. I'm sure all the girls absolutely loved you.

Amanda D said...

I'm so happy that it was as good as you hoped it would be. It sounds wonderful! I always loved girl's camp. What a wonderful oppotunity!

Rochelle said...

What a great system we have. I so glad you were blessed with the chance to participate and help influence these YW. Glad you had fun!

Melissa-Mc said...

I'm so glad you had a great time. I'm sure you were a great blessing to all the girls.

mahina said...

this was a great post, darilyn! thanks for sharing with us that sometimes we just need to take that step and ask! sometimes we forget our part in the deal and asking is not always the easiest thing to do!

i have very fond memories of girls camp and the bonds that were made there!

Tonya said...

I loved going up on leader day and can't wait to go next year! It was so fun to see you:0) How could testimonies not be strengthened at Girls Camp? Just the one day I was there was a spiritual feast mixed in with alot of fun. I love that you decided to ask. That really is all it takes sometimes and you are living proof of that.

Anonymous said...

So fun to hear about your enthusiasm with girls camp. My daughter leaves a week from today! She is so excited to go! It truly is a wonderful experience!!!!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

I love your attitude about life. You are so eager and excited and just take the bull by the horns, as they say. What a great week, and I'm sure your daughter will always remember her mom at girl's camp!

ducklips said...

Oh, I loved girl's camp too. It is such a fun place to be and such a spiritual one as well. I'm so glad you got to go, but more, I'm glad the girls in your stake have someone as excited as you are about their experiences. Fun leaders always make for a fun camp.

Mandy said...

I am so excited for you. What a wonderful experience and you were able to share it with your daughter. I too hope one day to go to girls camp and how much fun it would be to have Mikaila there too.

Gusti said...

After never going to camp as a young woman I have definately had my chance to make up for it as a leader. This summer will be my 7th time. I am on the Stake camp board as the official photographer and I love it. This also means I am in charge of the post camp slideshow for the fireside. I count my blessings each year that I get called back and yet realistically I know that at somepoint they will ask someone else to do it. I dred that day.

Jodi said...

I am so glad you got to go! I, too love Girl's Camp and gained a majority of my testimony there. I love it and plan to stow away in your luggage so I can go next year. Are you game?

Hailey Vial said...

What a great time! You are fun no matter where you are D! Bring that fun on over to the Vial's for the 4th, I can't find you email, so here's mine and I'll send you the invite. hailey.vial@gmail.com

brenda said...

You were clearly the best one for the job! Your sunny attitude is infectious.

Rachel Bancroft said...

Yay for girls camp! I'm happy to hear that you had a great time. There's just nothing like it.

Anonymous said...

Darilyn,
The girls are so blessed to have had you at their Girl's Camp. I completely understand why you love it so much-we were so lucky when we were in the young women's program to have the most amazing camp experiences. "I said a boom chicka boom..." Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww--the memories. Love ya, Eva