
I just got back from seeing this movie. I really loved it. I like how it portrayed Emma. I like how it showed how strong she was and also showed the disappointment, anger and sadness she felt as well. It's interesting to me that people have become more interested in Emma Smith recently. By recently I mean the past four or five years. It seems like when I was a young adult and newly married nobody really talked about her. There were conflicting feelings and ideas about her. But more recently there has been more talk about her in the way of Church articles and books and now this full length feature film. I think it's this way for a reason. I think we as women in the church and those not members as well can really benefit from Emma's testimony and faith. Are her times really that different from ours? Yes, her trials were different. We aren't necessarily dying of Malaria or having our husband's tarred and feathered. But we are living in a world that is becoming more and more difficult to maintain our convictions and beliefs. We are becoming that peculiar people that Peter spoke of in the New Testament. He identified members of the Church as “a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people." The gap is widening between what we as members of God's church believe and what the rest of the world believes. That's what Emma was up against as well. The early members of the church were seen as peculiar as well. They were seen as an oddity.
The Hebrew term that the word "peculiar" was translated from is segullah which means “valued property,” or “treasure.” In the New Testament, the Greek term from which peculiar was translated is peripoiesis, which means “possession,” or “an obtaining." So the term "peculiar" as Peter meant it means “valued treasure,” “made” or “selected by God." That is a compliment of the highest order.
When we know who we are and what God expects of us—when his “law is written in our hearts” we are spiritually protected. We become better people." - Russell M. Nelson, Quorum of the 12 Apostles.
I love this quote. It doesn't say we will be protected from all the physical challenges of life. It says we will be spiritually protected. I believe that Emma Smith received her own spiritual protection because of the great amount of faith that she showed during her life. I'm grateful for her example and testimony.
I have always had a fascination with Emma. When I was in High School I wanted to read everything I could find on her, which didn't seem like very much. When our middle daughter was born I wanted to name her Emma. She is named after Emma Smith with her middle name after my grandmother and my sister. All three of these women emulate tremendous faith that I want my own Emma to have.
So if this movie is playing near you, go see it. You will be glad you did. For those living in Portland it is only playing at Movies on TV in Hillsboro and only until the 5th of June.
Check here for locations near you.
I love this quote. It doesn't say we will be protected from all the physical challenges of life. It says we will be spiritually protected. I believe that Emma Smith received her own spiritual protection because of the great amount of faith that she showed during her life. I'm grateful for her example and testimony.
I have always had a fascination with Emma. When I was in High School I wanted to read everything I could find on her, which didn't seem like very much. When our middle daughter was born I wanted to name her Emma. She is named after Emma Smith with her middle name after my grandmother and my sister. All three of these women emulate tremendous faith that I want my own Emma to have.
So if this movie is playing near you, go see it. You will be glad you did. For those living in Portland it is only playing at Movies on TV in Hillsboro and only until the 5th of June.
Check here for locations near you.
16 comments:
I agree with you. I think years ago no one talked about her but now she seems to be everywhere. I think that's great. I think I'll see this when it comes on DVD. Thanks for the review.
I went to see it the other night and loved it too! I feel the same way about Emma...when I was young I felt kind of bad that people sort of trashed her for "falling away". When you learn more about her, you see the truly incredibly strong woman she was. Joseph depended on her strength!
I really liked this movie! It was nice to see things through her eyes.
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I love those actors who portray Joseph and Emma.
I can't even begin to imagine what Emma had to go through and how hard it must have been.
I had heard that it was playing, but we haven't had a chance to see it.
I love the quote. Thanks for sharing. It does seem that we are getting more and more 'pecuilar' doesn't it.
Great post.
I have not even heard about this movie!
Thanks for your review on the movie. I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow. And yay for naming our daughters after a great woman!
I really want to see that movie too.but then I've always been fascinated by her, probably because mom always taught us growing up how great things about her. I've read several books about her and one of these days I'll convince Bruce to go see another movie (we just saw our first movie in 2 years last weekend).
I would have loved to see that movie, bummer I've got plans tonight. It sounded great! I really enjoyed your post, it got me thinkin and excited to learn more about Emma. She's almost mysterious!
Very cool. I wasn't sure I wanted to see it but now I will.
i wanted to see that, but tonight was the last night on tv, right? i am just not up to going out just yet. i'm glad you liked it! maybe i'll have to go to bridget's and watch it with her when it comes out on dvd!
Missed it! Bummer. I have heard wonderful things about this movie from lots of different people. Hope to catch it on video.
I am bummed to hear that I missed my chance to see this movie. I will have to get it when it comes out on video. I didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago. Thanks for the translation on the word peculiar. It amazes me that we are those treasures chosen of God. Wow!
I share your affection for Emma. I have done four powerpoint presentations on her, two for seminary, one for Relief Society on the ward and stake level. Melissa even used it for her Relief Society in Utah. I was so happy when you named Emma after her. I am a lucky woman to have such a wise woman marry my son.I am anxious to see that movie, but I doubt it will make Eugene...Yay for DVD's.
I thought it was a great movie, too. It was fun to see the events through her eyes and not only Joseph's. It made it easier to imagine myself in those times and NO thanks! She was a tough lady.
Thanks for the review. I wanted to go see it when it was out. I didn't get the chance. I'll have to rent it.
Post a Comment